Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apo 135mm lenses..

Apo 135mm lenses..

I am looking at getting a 135mm (and possibly 180mm) lens.

Most of the ones at these focal lengths I am interested in..rodenstock and schneiders are apo lenses.

I have read in some places that these apochromatic lenses are corrected to focus with the three primary colours on the film plane and as such are designed to perform in close up work in particular and they are not so good at infinity focus work unless stopped down.

Now for much of my work I like to be able use lenses close to wide open and almost always at infinity focus so will I not get good results from these apo lenses?

If not would this mean having to go for a nikon or fuji lens at this focal length even though in general I prefer to use the rodenstocks where possible.

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Apo 135mm lenses..

Marc,

The definition of Apo for the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses is that the lateral chromatic aberrations in the secondary spectrum have been corrected to a minute percentage of the focal length of the lens.

The definition you cited is the Abbe definition used for microscophy and process work.

The results from the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S will be outstanding in any application you will use with reproduction ratios from 1:5 out to infinity.

An apo macro lens like the Apo Macro Sironar will perform best on reproductions ratios from 1:5 to 5:1 with 3 dimensional subjects. A process lens like an Apo Ronar will be best for 2 dimensional objects at near life size.

Thanks Bob, that has cleared that up for me..I am now coming across another issue with most of the 135mm lenses..small IC...as I like to use large tilt and swing and often rise I may have a problem there..

thanks again re the apo issue.

Marc

Marc, for some reason when I think of apochromatic lenses I think of process lenses. There are few as short as 135 mm and in general ones that short don't have the coverage you think you need. They are also much slower than you think you need, maximum apertures are on the order of f/9 - f/10.

Not everyone agrees with me about usability of process lenses for general photography, but most of the ones I've used on 2x3 (focal lengths 150 mm - 480 mm and I now have a 135 that I haven't used yet) have been just dandy. But I don't think any of them even remotely fits the requirements you've set forth. And it could be that my standards are too low.

Perhaps you might reconsider your requirements. While you're thinking harder about how to acheive your ends, why don't you get a good grade of modern 6/4 (more or less) plasmat type taking lens -- start with a 150 -- and see how badly it fails to meet your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    I am looking at getting a 135mm (and possibly 180mm) lens.
    Now for much of my work I like to be able use lenses close to wide open and almost always at infinity focus so will I not get good results from these apo lenses?

and later -

I am now coming across another issue with most of the 135mm lenses..small IC...as I like to use large tilt and swing and often rise I may have a problem there..
    The 180 will have plenty of coverage for any movements you want on 4x5. The 135 will be relatively small coverage but for your first set of requirements it'll be plenty.

The Rodenstock Sironar S lenses are absolutley first class. I own both - you will not be dissapointed.

You seem to set contradictory requirements "infinity focus, wide open" and then "plenty of movements" (I paraphrase your words)

What the heck are you photographing? I detect possible confusion.

(If the 135 is short on coverage then you should look at the Schneider 110 XL)

Hi henry,

I am working on a project that involves highly selective focus using both tilt and swing simultaneuosely focussed on objects or areas that are 95% likely to be at infinity focus often with a very shallow depth of field.

The rise I like to have as I also do much interior, architectural images.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Marc,

The definition of Apo for the Schneider and Rodenstock lenses is that the lateral chromatic aberrations in the secondary spectrum have been corrected to a minute percentage of the focal length of the lens.

The definition you cited is the Abbe definition used for microscophy and process work.

The results from the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S will be outstanding in any application you will use with reproduction ratios from 1:5 out to infinity.

An apo macro lens like the Apo Macro Sironar will perform best on reproductions ratios from 1:5 to 5:1 with 3 dimensional subjects. A process lens like an Apo Ronar will be best for 2 dimensional objects at near life size.
    Bob, Does the "APO" make any difference between apo sironar-n and sironar-n?
    Kerry and almost everyone here said not much difference. Once someone told me that there is some difference between them, but I don't think that is a reliable source. Can you give me some information on this? If I can get some official information, I can tell him that he is wrong.

"Does the "APO" make any difference between apo sironar-n and sironar-n"

The last Sironar N MC and the first Apo Sironar N? No difference.

The first Sironar N and the last Apo Sironar N/ Yes there will be differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "Does the "APO" make any difference between apo sironar-n and sironar-n"

The last Sironar N MC and the first Apo Sironar N? No difference.

The first Sironar N and the last Apo Sironar N/ Yes there will be differences.
    you mean age of the lens?

I'm assuming the Schneider 135mm APO-Symmar I just got will work just fine on my Zone VI 4x5 without any issues?