Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Planet Earth" series

Re: "Planet Earth" series

Although on second thought, they could have used both 35mm, and HD cameras, since there are two eyewitness accounts in this very thread of both formats.

Does anyone know for sure?

(my guess is still on film)

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    Does anyone know for sure?
    I do.

It's mixed as far as capture media. Many parts were shot on 35mm film, especially when they were in humid climates, which HD video does not handle well. Some, notably the penguins in the antarctic were on super 16mm film (the camera was an Aaton).

The breaching shark was shot with a custom modified 1000 (not 60) FPS video camera normally used for crash-testing vehicles. They hard wired it to a laptop with a 3 second buffer so that the record button could be pressed after a promising moment and it would capture what just happened. It saved them hard disc space.

Most of the series was shot with a panasonic varicam, one of a couple leading HD video cameras. Much of the night footage that wasn't lit was shot with infrared lights and with the infrared filter in the camera removed. Video (as well as digital still camera) sensors are very IR sensitive but it is usually filtered down to the visible spectrum.

The aerial footage was done from fairly high up with a nose-mounted remote head camera used on feature films. They are gyro stabilized and can be used with lenses up to a etty long telephoto without showing shake from the helicopter. They can use lenses longer than that threshold and stabilise the footage in post, too.

>>The breaching shark was shot with a custom modified 1000 (not 60) FPS video camera >>normally used for crash-testing vehicles. They hard

Even more amazing !

Christopher, you're either a planet earth super fan... or you have inside information. That suspicious smiley makes me think the latter.

Two reasons: I'm a film camera assistant and can see the equipment they showed on the "making of" show and instantly know quite a lot about it. Also, I have spoken to a couple of the cameramen who worked on it.