Thread: Film storage in backpacks

Film storage in backpacks

I wondering about what you folk's do with your LF film (unused loaded film holders) after you have finished a day of hiking either on a camping trip or on a day hike, do you make sure that they get into a cooler? Do you get them out of your backpack, the reason I'm asking is when using digital I use to carry my camera gear in my truck every where. so the question has me wondering, what you would suggest.

Is flim really touchy with heat and cold?
    Lynn Ross

Re: Film storage in backpacks

Film is much more robust in this regard than many people realize. Obviously, you don't want to leave your film in a locked car with the windows closed in Death Valley in July, but film does just fine at normal to moderately warm temperatures and cold temperatures for periods of weeks or months.

One thing, though, when I'm traveling for a long period of time and know I won't be able to process film for a few months, is that one has to be a little more careful about fingerprints on the film, so now I load film routinely with white cotton gloves. I thought this might cause a lint problem, but it doesn't seem to, and I've gotten used to it the feeling of loading film with gloves fairly quickly, so I haven't had any misloads.

I put the loaded holders back on the shelf where I keep all my holders, loaded and unloaded. Not frozen or fridged but in a reaonably cool, dry area of the house. I've used b&w film that's been stored in holders that way for at least six months, maybe longer, with no problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I usually keep loaded holders in anti-static zipper bags and those inside colapsable coolers that are perfect in size to hold them. I don't use the coolers for cooling, but as a way to organize and keep track of the film holders. I have had no problem with heat affecting film left in a warm car.

I store loaded film holders (unexposed and exposed) in a regular cooler, each in their own Ziploc bag. I have a cooler that holds about 50 holders. It lives in my car most of the time, with the rest of my gear. It's electric, so I can plug it in if the weather is ever really hot, however, I find that I keeps the film relatively cool without the cooler being plugged in except in the very warmest conditions. The average between day and night temperatures and the air conditioning in the car in summer normally keeps the holders at 50-70 degrees. I keep 5-8 film holders in a padded pouch that I can carry with me when working. These I rotate back into the cooler when exposed. Often a holder or two will be out of the cooler and in the pouch for an extended period. I've never had any problem with heat deterioration. I think the cooler helps a lot, mostly by keeping the temperature relatively constant and avoiding heat spikes when the interior of the car really heats up in summer.

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

Thanks everyone, this was the help I needed, especially the durability of the film at temperatures in vehicles, the extra ideas were a bonus also.
    Thanks again
    Lynn Ross