Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avery labels on darkslides...What the???

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Avery labels on darkslides...What the???

A few months back I purchased some used 4x5 film holders. Upon initial inspection they looked clean, and in seemingly good condition. When I go to blow out the insides, I remove the darkslides and...what the heck?? There's a 3X4 Avery label on the film-facing side of the each and every darkslide. (see jpg)

At first blush, no big deal, right? Give 'em a little soak and off they come. Not so much. The glue has hardened to the point where a deep soak in mild soapy water and a little vinegar added does nothing moe than remove the paper part of the sticker. I end up having to scratch and claw to remove the glue residue. Not good.

Now I'm thinking, 19 more of these? No way!

So, here's my question...is there any harm in leaving the labels intact?

Alternatively, how would I get the damn things off without screwing up the darkslide? I don't want to use anything so caustic that it eats the plastic or leaves behind a chemical residue that off-gases into the film.

Any sage words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Mark
    Last edited by Mark Carstens; 3-Nov-2007 at 16:47.

Re: Avery labels on darkslides...What the???

Try Methylated spirit. Shouldn't hurt the plastic and does dissolve the Avery label glue.
    OTOH you could leave them there. After you've taken each shot, replace the darkslide with the label out and write (using a soft art pencil) the detail of the shot on the label. After unloading, erase the notes, clean off any dust and you're ready for next time. Have a look at the film holder/slide with a developed sheet of film. I think you'll find that there is ample room to leave the label in place.
    Put a smaller one on the other side and note on it what type of film is loaded (again in soft pencil).

GooGone - any grocery should have it. It is a citrus oil product that takes that crap off. Then just wash it off with soap and water. Still, not a pleasant way to spend the evening.

WD40 and let them sit overnight. It is excelent in removing glue and other gunk.

saturate with mineral spirits, let dry, repeat. after the second soaking, they should peel off like they're brand new.

erie

I guess that is one way to keep notes on exposed film. I doubt that it would cause a problem to leave them there; the design of the slide itself should keep the labels from coming in contact with the film. I would just leave them.

I would have thought the labels were a large idiot-proof version of the black/white tab thing on the DS handle. There's no way you can miss a huge white sticker screaming "EXPOSED FILM!!!". I'd leave em, unless it's annoying.

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I would have thought the labels were a large idiot-proof version of the black/white tab thing on the DS handle. There's no way you can miss a huge white sticker screaming "EXPOSED FILM!!!". I'd leave em, unless it's annoying.
    There are no notes on any of them. I think you're spot-on, Ash. I think they are a quick check black/white tab system for those moving at the speed of light

Thanks, all. I think I'll roll with them as-is for now, but I appreciate the home remedies for label removal. I'm sure they'll come in handy somewhere along the line.

~Mark

One thing you might consider is the damage that may be done to the light seals due to pulling them out and pushing them in. Personally I'd remove them with goo-gone.

Your best bet may be to first remove the paper layer after a soak in water and detergent, then use Goo-Gone to remove the non-water-soluble adhesive residue. Apply it to the residue area and let it work for a few minutes before wiping the residue off with a paper tower soaked with more Goo-Gone. It may take several passes.