Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another one on contact printing.

Yet another one on contact printing.

I just use a piece of double weight glass, the neg, and a piece of paper. I don't use any type of pad at all. And I don't think that I've ever gotten Newton's rings with this type of setup.

Sal, I use a 20"x24" vacuum frame in my own screen printing business for contacting ortho positives. I'm sure there are a lot of printers that have these laying around collecting dust. I'm not sure if you can find one smaller than 20x24.

I'm not sure that Condit is still in business but their telephone number is/was (203) 426-4119 and their e mail address is/was ELCondit@Juno.com. I have several of their products, including a pin registration contact printing frame that has never produced Newton rings. Their stuff is expensive but beautifully made and a pleasure to use. If you can reach them, ask to speak with Ray.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Here's an update. First, Tiffen/Saunders generously sent replacement foam for the Patterson proofer at no charge. Unfortunately, it failed to result in a system that avoided rings. Then, I ordered a frame and glass from Condit. If anyone needs spare parts for Condit equipment, act now: they're going out of business at the end of August. In my case, the Condit frame also couldn't eliminate rings. I next planned to try thick glass on a slab of foam, holding off the dehumidifier option until last. While picking up something in the local Calumet store, I found a Bogen/Technal Proof Printer on their clearance table. It is apparently a discontinued item. Since the 7/32" glass is only loosely hinged on one end and not clamped under any pressure beyond the force exerted by gravity, it is essentially a nicely finished version of the simple glass-foam idea. Success! This week, during some of our highest humidity of the year, ring-free prints were made. TMY could even be printed on Polymax Fine Art, although light rings did result when attemting those negatives on Seagull's glossier surface. With HP-5+ negatives, both papers worked. Thanks to all for your help and suggstions. If anyone has a similar problem and is not lucky enough to find the discontinued Bogen, I suggest heavy glass and a slab of foam. Doug wins the prize on this one.