Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock Imagon 250mm F/5.8 Lens

Rodenstock Imagon 250mm F/5.8 Lens

I am new in (environmental) LF portraiture. Is the RODENSTOCK IMAGON 250MM F/5.8 LENS (used) a valuable buy for black & white portraiture.

Re: Rodenstock Imagon 250mm F/5.8 Lens

The 250 Imagon is one of the modern (although it has been in production for a century) variable focus lenses. It is great for portraiture but there is a learning curve to using it as ou focus differently than you do with a 'regular' lens. If you do get the lens it should come with 1) all three aperture discs which you use variably to set your aperture and 2) the ND filter. A lens hood should also be included and, if it is anolder lens a green filter instead of the ND. The modern version of the lens comes in a #3 shutter and older versions come in a Compound Shutter. They have also been sold without shutters. The price you pay for the lens will vary acording to which shutter it is in. If any of the discs are missing they are difficult to find on the used market. The 250mm is specifically designed to give you the best soft focus effects on 4x5 although it will cover 5x7. The 300mm Imagon is the lens designed for use with 5x7.

You will find lots of threads on this and other soft focus lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    The 250 Imagon is one of the modern (although it has been in production for a century) variable focus lenses. It is great for portraiture but there is a learning curve to using it as ou focus differently than you do with a 'regular' lens. If you do get the lens it should come with 1) all three aperture discs which you use variably to set your aperture and 2) the ND filter. A lens hood should also be included and, if it is anolder lens a green filter instead of the ND. The modern version of the lens comes in a #3 shutter and older versions come in a Compound Shutter. They have also been sold without shutters. The price you pay for the lens will vary acording to which shutter it is in. If any of the discs are missing they are difficult to find on the used market. The 250mm is specifically designed to give you the best soft focus effects on 4x5 although it will cover 5x7. The 300mm Imagon is the lens designed for use with 5x7.

You will find lots of threads on this and other soft focus lenses.
    Ted, maybe you can help me a bit to judge:
    The sellers website:
    http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=...1365&parent=20

Hi

I have the same lens since 4 years and mine is from 1990 and this set as it is on the pictures is complete and looks very good to me!
    Price is also not to bad, Armin Seeholzer

It is missing the lens hood. If there are any left thet are $75.00. They are a special push-on mount and other hoods will not attach.

Price looks right. You can buy them cheaper but this is a very late model. Looks identical to my 250 which I bought new from Calumet when they were on closeout a few years ago. Bob is right about the hood. You should call him direct at HP Marketing Corp. and get one if they have one left. I shoot with it most of the time or use a compendium hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    It is missing the lens hood. If there are any left thet are $75.00. They are a special push-on mount and other hoods will not attach.
    Bob, so I can buy this hood by HP Marketing ? Who is HP Marketing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlof Homan View Post
    Bob, so I can buy this hood by HP Marketing ? Who is HP Marketing ?
    We are the USA distributor for Rodenestock. As well as:

Ansmann, Berlebach, Braun, Combina, Gepe, Heliopan, Kaiser, Linhof, Novoflex, Rimowa, Rodenstock, Vue-All and Wista

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    We are the USA distributor for Rodenestock. As well as:

Ansmann, Berlebach, Braun, Combina, Gepe, Heliopan, Kaiser, Linhof, Novoflex, Rimowa, Rodenstock, Vue-All and Wista
    Can you deliver this special hood (used is oke) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlof Homan View Post
    Can you deliver this special hood (used is oke) ?
    I have no idea now. We are closed until Monday. You can call us Monday to check stock 800 735-4373 and to order it. It is a free call to anyone in the USA.