Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost in Sinar system

Re: Lost in Sinar system

Yes, generic Sinar lensboards, with generic lens-in-shutters will work fine. The Sinar system of cameras is probably the most adaptable of any monorail camera.
    I have even mounted some barrel lenses on Sinar boards and put small Packard shutters behind.

You don't even "have" to use Sinar boards, I have successfully made a board for my Sinar P2 using masonite..painted flat black. Works just fine.

The advantage of the Sinar shutter is that ideally, you can buy all your lenses "in-barrel", since you already have a shutter.

With all the money you save, you can purchase another Sinar item. For example, you can get a conversion kit, and turn the camera into another size. I just did that very thing. I have several lenses in barrel, and by not purchasing them in shutters (or paying to have them mounted in a shutter - or struggling to find the right shutter), I got a 5x7 kit. Now I can sell my old Kodak 5x7, and pay back the money for the shutter.

Very clever, these Swiss :-)

PS - Igor at Igor's Camera Exchange is very knowledegable about Sinar products. He's the one who encouraged me to get the shutter. He also has a nice selection of classic lenses.

Arsenios, the auto aperture shutter is great to use in the studio with strobe, however if you plan to do a lot of work with available or continuous light and will use slow shutter speeds with longer than normal lenses, the shutter produces too much vibration.

If you plan to do outdoor work use lenses with their own shutters, such as copal shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    Arsenios, the auto aperture shutter is great to use in the studio with strobe, however if you plan to do a lot of work with available or continuous light and will use slow shutter speeds with longer than normal lenses, the shutter produces too much vibration.

If you plan to do outdoor work use lenses with their own shutters, such as copal shutters.
    Actually I heard quite the opposite. I know it's big and clunky and SEEMS like it would... but I read a series of tests this guy did on different shutters and he found the sinar shutter by far the most vibration free... that and some other, older one... like an ilex or something. But regardless - I wouldn't use that shutter for any location work that required breaking down the camera constantly since it's a PITA to constantly set up the shutter with the cables, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    If you want, you can buy a Sinar shutter;.
    Yes I'm currently looking for one,it seems like a good general solution.I found a used one in very good condition for €199,- .
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    .... all your lenses "in-barrel"...
    By in-barrel I guess u mean DB boards.

I just want to thank you all, never met people so willing to help in any other forum before.
    Thank you I think I found a haven here

The f/4 aperture model is the one to have - they're made later and tend to be a fair bit more expensive. But it sounds like you're already paying out the big bucks - for a camera that took me 18 years to graduate to... but the 5.6 model is FINE for just about any except a few, very expensive lenses. So - I suppose you could upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by JW Dewdney View Post
    But it sounds like you're already paying out the big bucks - for a camera that took me 18 years to graduate to...
    Excuse me but English is not my native language.Do u think that I bought a very expensive and difficult to master camera?In your opinion is the SinarX not worth it?I had my eye on a much much cheaper F2 but something came over me and I paid €1200(approx $1800 or more),at least it has a metering back.
    Thank you