Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girl and her Dog (first outing w/ 5x7)

Girl and her Dog (first outing w/ 5x7)

first neg from my new 5x7

Denise and Brody

Canham 5x7 Traditional
    Rodenstock 210mm Sironar-N
    Kodak Tri-X 320TXP rated at EI250
    Kodak HC-110 dil. D
    neg scan using makeshift film holder in Canon 9950F flatbed

Re: Girl and her Dog (first outing w/ 5x7)

Nicely composed image and great first shot from your new 5x7 -- congrats! My only comment would be I find the shadows on her face a bit distracting. Perhaps a hand-held reflector for a touch of fill would have been helpful in softening them?
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Nice portrait.

Of all the comments I could make, the dog has it for me. I miss having a golden retriever. Those shaggy dogs are amazing.

brad, was it you asking about making a film holder for the scanner?

Get a couple of sheets of that flexible magnetic stuff from a craft store or a sign-makers/printshop - the sort they make fridge magnets out of and those car door signs

Just cut out the right sized hole in the two sheets for the neg and hinge it on one side (don't make the "frame" sections of the cutout too thin - it tears if you aren't careful in handling it as it has a certain amount of "flop"...).

If you have enough rebate around the edge of the film, with the magnetic pull of the two halves it will usually just hold the film tight enough to stop it sagging.

(I've done this for 8x10 on another scanner - I've never noticed the magnetism effect the scan though I suppose it could....)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Nice looking first work Brad. Curious about your impression of the Canham, do you have another camera to compare it to? Was considering the Shen until I read about the limited rise/fall - which I would prefer to have more. Would love to hear how you feel the Canham performs, stability/ease of setup and take down, how solid it feels.

Thanks - oh, and don't you just love the 5x7 format!!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The shadows on the face remind me of some glamor shots, where the eyes are accented by a strip of light.

Nice job of using using what I assume was a relatively large aperture to blur the distracting background and isolate the girl and dog from it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Nice job.

Mike, if you have specific questions about the Canham 57T send me an email or PM. I have been using one for 11 years.

Thank you every one for the questions, comments and constructive criticism.

Denise a very reluctant subject. I promised I'd be quick...I think I shot off four sheets in under three minutes...

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions...

This is f/16+ and 1/30 sec. It is late afternoon shade. I think that brightness + film speed was something like 13EV. I have full front fall (to get the dog) and no other movements.

The lighting was pure fortune (or, misfortune if you see it that way). Like I said, I was not terribly concerned about making a portrait as I was about making a neg with the new camera.
    Last edited by BradS; 6-Mar-2018 at 20:51.