Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider SA 90mm XL removable rear flange? Serial Numbers ->

Schneider SA 90mm XL removable rear flange? Serial Numbers ->

Does anyone know from what serial number onwards does the Schenider Super Angulon 90mm XL have the removable rear flange?

Hope I haven't missed a previous thread that has covered this but I have done a search and wasn't able to find this info. Thanks.

Re: Schneider SA 90mm XL removable rear flange? Serial Numbers ->

Were many of these lenses made without the removable rear flange.... would I be incredibly unlucky to end up with one? Why I ask is that I know of one for sale but am unable to see it in the flesh and doubt the seller is knowledgeable enough to be able to work out what the rear flange is let alone if it is removable.

Any scraps of information would be appreciated. Thanks.

My 90mm SA XL has the usual flange or retaining ring that screws onto the back of the shutter in the usual manner to hold the lens board. Due to the narrow "waist" of the lens design, however, the diameter of the retaining ring is rather small, and might be hidden by the rear element in a photo of the lens.

Ralph,

I think he's talking about the flange on the end of the outer rear element that screws off to make the diameter smaller -- a feature I discovered only after I'd gotten mine and cut a bigger opening in my front standard

Hi guys,

Thanks for getting back but just to make things clear, as "poco" stated, I am talking about the removable flange on the rear element.

Apparently not all SA 90mm XL's have this feature but I am unsure at what point this was introduced (serial number?) or if there were so few of the early XL lenses made without this feature as to make them rare and therefore unlikely that I would ever end up with one. For convenience sake I would prefer to get one with the removable rear flange.

So any ideas?

akalai,

FWIW, mine, which has the flange, is of fairly recent vintage with serial # 14839807

I think you'll need to send the question to Schneider for a definitive answer.

Thank you Poco!

Mine has the removable rear flange and its number is 14790xxx. So that is a bit lower number then the prior post

By the way I had SK Grimes make a rear lens cap so that I would not need to replace the rear flange to put away the lens. Maybe any additional ones they make are cheaper because the mold (die or whatever) is already done. Any old lens cap of the right diameter would not do because it needs to be extra deep and have a stop to accommodate the convex rear element.
    John Hennessy

This is an old thread that was referred too in a new thread and I'm RESURRECTING it for posterity... No one has yet posted a picture of said flange feature, would someone please do so that has the removable flange? It would be useful to see it to know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This is an old thread that was referred too in a new thread and I'm RESURRECTING it for posterity... No one has yet posted a picture of said flange feature, would someone please do so that has the removable flange? It would be useful to see it to know what to look for.
    Here are some pics - the 90 SAXL with flange installed, flange removed, and back view of the rear cell. The flange feature can be spotted by the gap on the back side of the rear cell (arrow).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SA XL90-1.jpg   SA XL90-2.jpg   SA XL90-3c.jpg