Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum scan lab in UK/Europe ???

Baxter

Re: Drum scan lab in UK/Europe ???

I don't know Carl!

But there are people who like to spend their time advocating relative merits - not just restricted to scanners. Personally I'd rather be out with the camera - seeking stronger images rather than opinions!!!

Thanks for the replies and recommendations to date.

Baxter,

Did you mean that Joe uses a flextight personally ? Do you know if his great prints that I saw at the Northallerton gallery would have been done on a flextight ?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian tyler View Post
    Seconded - the scans of 8x10 and 5x4 I've seen from this guy are amazing ESPECIALY if you are shooting neg

Hi RJC,

Joe gets his smaller exhibition prints (24x20) printed digitally ('Digital Cibachrome') at BPD Photech and they have a Flextight scanner so I'm not sure if he gets them to scan them for him or he does them himself.

I have also spoken with his book designer Eddie Ephraums (a master of his trade IMO) who told me that all the scans for Joe's book ('Scotland's Coast') were also done on a Flextight so its a safe bet that he uses one.

However I recently did some comparisons of some 20x16 prints (I sent 4x5 trans to BPD to scan and my own scans) and IMO the scans I did very carefully on my 4990 and sharpened at all stages using Photokit sharpener compare favourably with the scans BPD did on their Flextight. The only issue with the Epson is that the edges of the film are slightly less sharp due to poorer film flatness in the holders.

BTW the larger prints in the exhibition (30x38) are printed traditionally at BPD using the Cibachrome process.

Results for all Joe's prints I'm sure you will agree are stunning!

Baxter

Hi Rob

Yes Joe has his own Flextight, but am uncertain as to who scans what for what purpose.

I saw some fantastic 20x25 inch prints this weekend which were scanned on an Epson V750. My own large 22x28 prints are made from an older generation Imacon Flextight, a Precision II and seem to pass muster with even critical 'print sniffers'.

Uunless you have an incredibly dark tranny, or you are going to be printing at massive sizes, I think that a Flextight scan is going to be more than adequate.....

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

baxter, I've seen a 100x140cm (40x48") print from an Imacon scan of one of my own 5x7" slides. There's a 50x70cm print of it on my wall. The scans are very, very good.