Thread: NW WA Beaches update

NW WA Beaches update

I've been revisiting several of NW Washington beach trails this week and have noticed some things that may impact vacation/shooting plans. Mainly, the Quileute tribe is still feuding with the Feds about the access roads to Rialto Beach so that remains closed from the NP boundaries from the southeast. You can still access Rialto and it's many splendors from the north via the shipwreck coast trail (20 mi from Ozette ranger station) but theoretically you will be trespassing once on the beach, which is reservation land, and would have to return the way you came. I just realized yesterday that Second Beach has also become a casualty of the feud, the parking and beach trails are tribal land and considered off limits until further notice. This may render a stay in LaPush fundamentally pointless, seeing as most of the immediate day trips are now off limits. Third Beach is on NP land and is open, however it's long for a day trip once you get to Scott Creek or Strawberry Point and the more interesting beaches.

Re: NW WA Beaches update

Colin wrote: Mainly, the Quileute tribe is still feuding with the Feds about the access roads to Rialto Beach so that remains closed from the NP boundaries from the southeast. You can still access Rialto and it's many splendors from the north via the shipwreck coast trail (20 mi from Ozette ranger station) but theoretically you will be trespassing once on the beach, which is reservation land, and would have to return the way you came.

Hi Colin: This was startling news to me, as I have recently visited Rialto Beach and I visit many times in a year.

So, to confirm I called the Ranger Station a few minutes ago. The access to Rialto via Forks and Mora, all the way to the parking lot on the beach, is actually open.

So, the usual hike north from the parking lot, up toward Hole in the Wall and all points north is as accessible as it always has been.

Conversely, from the parking lot, you can only go about 1/2 mile south on the beach before you run into the Quillayute River and the boundary of the Indian Reservation, which is sort of the way it "has always been".

So to reiterate, Rialto Beach is open and ready for your lens!

Laurence

Great news! This is odd because yesterday the signs on the reservation indicated the reverse to be true. Thanks for the update. I might head up there again today.

Edit: Well, I just got through to the Mora station. This is bizaare- a year or so ago it was widely reported in the local media that the Quileutes had closed access to rialto beach due to disputes with the NPS. Apparently, reports of their influence were greatly exaggerated! Come to find out the tribe had no authority over this piece of land. And it remains open. My apologies for listening to the local media Also, signs on the reservation proper indicate that Rialto is closed but it is infact open; the ranger at Mora said there is nothing they can do about these signs. Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

In any event, Second Beach is still closed, as this trail is in fact on tribal land and not in the National Park.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 30-Mar-2007 at 12:22. Reason: new info

Thanks for the heads up!

Access to the coast either through or near tribal land has been contentious as long as I've known about these trails and vistas. If the tribe is over-stepping their rights, that's one thing, but their land and tenuous traditions should be respected:

http://www.quileuteoceanside.com/Res...3/Default.aspx

Check out:

http://www.makah.com/cape.html

A word of advice unrelated to the subject at hand - watch out for raccoons along the beach; your bellows may not be light tight if you fail to keep your gear close at hand.

Hey Eric-
    Great links! I did the Shi-Shi to Point of the Arches trail earlier this week. That has got to be the crown jewel of the NW Washington coast. Simply beautiful. Neah Bay is a bit more remote than the 101 corridor beaches but very much worth it. Good advice about the racoons, and a very good point about respecting land and local traditions. As a carpenter I helped build the new resort in LaPush so that may have influenced me in taking the tribes side on this, who knows. In any case I hope they get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    That has got to be the crown jewel of the NW Washington coast. Simply beautiful.
    Thanks for the tip, and follow up.

As a carpenter and a friend of Native Americans, I believe you would enjoy visiting the Alaska Native Medical Center if you find yourself in Anchorage - it's a beautiful facility with fine woodwork throughout.

Eric

Don't forget to go to Ruby Beach. That is on public lands and is still accessible. I prefer it to Rialto. Lake Ozette to Cape Alava to Sand Point is a nice easy 9 mile round trip, mostly on boardwalks. Each leg is about 3 miles. Pay attention to tide charts as the leg from Cape Alava to Sand Point is beach hiking and areas are inaccessible at high tide.

If anyone wants some beta on a killer beach on the Olympic coast that is very lightly visited, give me a PM. If you hit the tide right, this beach offers it all. Cozy coves, caves, needles, seastacks, shelf pools, etc. About a 3 mile walk to the beach, and about 1.4 miles of the fantastic beach itself.