Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Multiple Cameras

Question Using Multiple Cameras

When I first got my 11x14 Wisner, I knew for sure it wasn't going to be my last LF camera. The plan all along was to have the 11x14 with an 8x10 reducing back, and a 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back. The other part of the plan was to stick to a single camera manufacturer; in my case Wisner. Same lensboards, same movements, etc....seemed like an easy way to retain familiarity with the camera plus share some parts.

Then I look at the various cameras out there, and think, "Wow, that Korona 5x7 looks nice." or "Gee, that Tachihara would probably do fine." But eventually my mind comes back to the lensboard incompatibilities, what a PITA it would be to have to keep swapping lenses, the concept of groping around for a control that doesn't exist on that camera, etc.

Is this really a problem? Do you use cameras from multiple manufacturers, and how is it working out? For those that use multiple cameras from the same manufacturer, are you happy with your choice?

Thanks!
    --A

Re: Using Multiple Cameras

I try to keep them all on the same lensboards--Sinar or Linhof for the most part. It's not that hard to adapt lensboards.

Like David, with a few exceptions, I use one sort of lensboard (Canham) and a series of adapters for each camera. This has worked quite well, other than a few special (and usually large) lenses which really only go with one camera.

I know each of my cameras pretty well and have gotten used to their idiosyncrasies. Sure, I wish all my cameras were as well designed as my Canham, or as tough as my Technika, or as usable as my Deardorff, or as cheap as my Burke and James...

Same, all have either front standards that handle Technika/Wista boards or adaptors for same. Even the studio rail camera is fited with an adaptor for the smaller boards.

Dave Karp

Just to add a little to what the others said. Some camere manufacturers make adapter lensboards for certain types of lensboards. Probably, the most common readily available boards adapt to Technika type boards. If the camera manufacturer does not make a board, you can contact firms like S.K. Grimes or Richard Ritter and ask them to make a lensboard adapter for your camera.

It works great. I have a Cambo 45SF that always has a Cambo to Technika type lensboard adapter on it. My field camera is a Walker that uses Technika type boards.

I think I have almost as many adapter lens boards as Ole Tjugen has lenses. I should probably write a book, "The Joy of Lensboard Adapters".

You've been musing about 7x17, haven't you? You might want to check - if I remember correctly, your Wisner boards may be a direct fit to the Korona in that size.

Thanks guys. So the recurring theme here is the lensboard adapter. I'd imagine then, that this means you adapt to the smaller of the lensboards, right? So the Wisner takes 5 1/4" boards, and if I got a camera that takes a 4" board then I would add an adapter to the Wisner to accept a smaller board.

...And per Jason that can mess up the ability to use some lenses. But I guess that's not a typical problem. Have to say, I'm still on the fence with this.

--A

LOL, Oren, I have been musing about 7x17. But for this question I was specifically musing about my choice for a 5x7 camera. The Wisner 5x7s don't seem to be abundant, and at 10 pounds I'm wondering just how much "lighter" this is going to be.... On the other hand,it'll definitely support all my 11x14 lenses, with the 40" bellows and the 5 1/4" lensboards.

I think 10 pounds is for the Technical Field, I'm pretty sure the Traditional is a couple of pounds lighter. Then again, I can't recall the last time I saw a used 5x7 Traditional for sale... ...though I've seen plenty of Technicals over the years. They often sit for a while, because few people want a 5x7 that weighs that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ...though I've seen plenty of Technicals over the years. They often sit for a while, because few people want a 5x7 that weighs that much.
    On second thought, maybe it's just the same one being resold over and over again...

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    I'd imagine then, that this means you adapt to the smaller of the lensboards, right? So the Wisner takes 5 1/4" boards, and if I got a camera that takes a 4" board then I would add an adapter to the Wisner to accept a smaller board.
    Yes. I did not think to point you in this direction: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

Scroll down a bit and you will find a photo of my Cambo 45SF with a 210mm Caltar on a Technika type board mounted to a Cambo-Technika adapter board.

That demonstrates it quite clearly.
    Last edited by David Karp; 27-Mar-2007 at 21:03. Reason: grammar