Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethical Dilemma

Re: Ethical Dilemma

Annie, I am more impressed with your attitude, than I am concerned about what you should do about the petroglyph. Go, Girl! Go!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

BTW Annie, many mainstream museums have Aboriginal liaison officers etc as well as the usual anthropologists and archeologists - especially the Provincial Museums - that might be someone to seek out.

I know the one at the Provincial Museum of Alberta a little. She may know if they have any in BC?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Photograph it - that's why it has been given to you to see! But take the picture in such a way that nobody can guess where it has been taken. Then you can show it to the experts and still keep the secret for yourself..

Annie, Bravo. It saddens me to have to say it, but if I found undiscovered petroglyphs here in Nevada, USA the secret would remain with me. We just aren't very classy folk these days are we. There are so many who would destroy. It boggles my mind, but I know it's true. Maybe I'm too close to Los Angeles and it would be different there.

Dave Karp

If you keep it a secret, and something happens to you, there goes the secret with you. If you announce it to the world, then it may be defaced by the rabble.

If it was me, I would try to find out who the experts on this sort of thing are by contacting a local university. Perhaps the anthropology department would be a place to start. You could begin a discussion with someone without disclosing the location. Not disclosing at all might deny someone a vital connection to their heritage. Maybe your find will prove that certain people traveled to places not thought possible prior to your discovery. You could feel things out before deciding to disclose.

Also, if it was me, I would photograph it. Not just for me, which certainly would be a major reason, but also because if something happens to it, there will be a record.

Very interesting. Many issues are raised. It is refreshing to hear. Lately, I have been dealing with many young people who have no concept of ethics. So many of them feel that if you can get away with something, do it, regardless of the consequences to others. Sometimes it is a bit of a downer. Good for you for caring about what is "right."

My grandfather was an anthropologist and his specialty was what is called 'rock art' much as you are describing. I don't know where you are, but if in Canada - he had many contacts at the Royal Ontario Museum, and I'm sure that someone there would know the right course of action. Let me know if you want me to give you some info.

I would do some discrete research into the history of the site with locals as well as contact the appropriate local authorities. You may find that the site is well known to a number of folks and it is not publicly known for just the reasons others have sited.

It has been my experience that there are no secret places, just places that others keep secret.

Take some photos before contacting local authorities. It has also been my experience that sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than to beg for permission.

When you know more you will be able to make the appropriate decision on what to do with the photographs you have taken.

I would agree to those who recommend documenting the petroglyths (photos of them and the scene/location along with information) and location (map and directions) for your records and provide a copy to the federal and local agencies in charge of the property and aborginal affairs. They will know who to contact from there and how to protect the land for research and protection. They should also provide you with the protocols for publishing the images, which they should in a some form for the people to know they exist.

I wouldn't suggest keeping them from people charged with protecting them because it would, to me, be worse if others found and removed/damaged them before the site was known to officials. It also may add to the history of local aborgines and where that goes you don't know, but you'll be a discoverer of them. And your help will be appreciated by all who follow.

Good luck. And keep us posted.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean