Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

Re: Nikkor SW 90mm or Grandagon 90mm?

I actually meant as sharp as a lens should be...

I also have a Rodenstock f6.8 Grandagon N MC, and for landscape I find it OK, but for architecture, or furniture is not an option - it gives no linear perspective.
    So depends on what kind of images you want to use. I don't know the Nikkors, but this isue must be consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor Vreme View Post
    I also have a Rodenstock f6.8 Grandagon N MC, and for landscape I find it OK, but for architecture, or furniture is not an option - it gives no linear perspective.
    So depends on what kind of images you want to use. I don't know the Nikkors, but this isue must be consider.
    Hello Tudor, what exactly do you mean by "it gives no linear perspective" ? Is your grandagon geometrically distorting straight lines? Do you have an example to show?

Thanks,
    Petr

yes Sparq, it distort strait lines in curvers at the edges of images. I had to shot some interiors with furnitures, I shot on 12 x 6 cm format and I'm disapointed about the results. My lens was bought new and comparing with my old Schneider 5.6/75mm is a big diference.
    I have images to show but only tomorow morning, when I'l be in my office (now is 8.30 PM in Romania)

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

In that case there is something wrong with your Grandagon. It should have zero distortion - at least in use. These symmetrical wide-angle lenses are as close to distortion free as it's possible to make them, and you certainly shouldn't be able to detect any distortion without some very advanced optical testing equipment!

Confidently Agnostic!

yes Sparq, it distort strait lines in curvers at the edges of images. I had to shot some interiors with furnitures, I shot on 12 x 6 cm format and I'm disapointed about the results. My lens was bought new and comparing with my old Schneider 5.6/75mm is a big diference.
    I have images to show but only tomorow morning, when I'l be in my office (now is 8.30 PM in Romania)
    I have the Grandagon-N (caltar II-N 90 f/6.8 - same thing) and it's fantastic! Tons of room for movement (compared to a lot of other 90s), and the complete lack of distortion is a refreshing break after using small format digital SLRs for so long. Straight lines stay perfectly straight. I think the only way you could get anything "better" would be to go with a schneider SA XL or similar large circle lens, but those have their drawbacks (huge pricetag and huge filters and the size of small boulders).

I don't have any good examples scanned right now, unfortunately.

Seems to me it is a defective lens and ought to have been returned...!

maybe it is defective, I check it now and it is a Grandagon N 6.8/90 Rodenstock.
    I can upload a image on flicr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7383238@N05/438365936/did I mis anything? - my Sinar had the adjustments to 0.

Based soley on the wealth of information so generously available on this site i purchased a Nikkor 90mm F8 lens.

I figured i would sell it as soon as i could justify spending the extra to pick up the 110 schneider, but now that just isn't going to happen. The Nikkor is sharp, contrasty, lightweight and reasonably priced, i would highly recommend taking a serious look at it.

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....