Thread: Silverfast and Windows Vista isues

Silverfast and Windows Vista isues

Has anyone upgraded to Vista and trying to use Silverfast? And is it working right?

I have an Epson 4990 Pro scanner that I purchased last summer and was running on an XP box. I just bought a new Dell set up running Vista. I installed the software and updated drivers for the Epson software and the Silverfast AI software. I even had Silverfast update itself and it jumped me from version 6.2.2r4 to 6.4.4r7.

Anyway I was able to update and calibrate the with X-Rite scanner software so I know it can work.

However what I keep running into is that when I turn on the scanner and Silverfast it does not scan properly on the first take.

I turn on the scanner. I open Silverfast. Put chromes to scan on scanner in holder. Click PRESCAN. Scanner hums, it scans. But the preview window turns white and nothing ever appears.

I shut off scanner. Shut down Silverfast. Re-turnon scanner and reboot software. Sometimes it then work. Other is does not.

I appear to have all the most current drivers.

Any ideas? Or is this just something to expect with Vista? After the pain of the driver upgrades from Win98 to XP in 2002 I swore I would never do that again. But I guess I fell for the siren song of actually being able to scan (and therefore print) my 4x5 chromes. Now I am in driver upgrade hades again.

Re: Silverfast and Windows Vista isues

>> I even had Silverfast update itself and it jumped me from version 6.2.2r4 to 6.4.4r7.<<

Unfortunately, from what I was told by Silverfast you are going to have to pay to upgrade to 6.5 and newer. The latest version of 6.5 offers compatibility with some scanners but only in 32 bit Vista. Additionally, I believe you need to update to the latest Vista compatible Epson driver first before Silverfast will be able to work with your Epson. From the Silverfast site:

SilverFast 6.5.0r4 and later is Vista* compatible (32bit system) for following scanners:

Canon CanoScan 8600F
    Epson Perfection 1650 / 1650 Photo
    Epson Perfection 2450 Photo / GT-9700
    Epson Perfection 4990 Photo
    Epson Perfection V 700 Photo
    Epson Perfection V 750 Pro
    Microtek ScanMaker 9800 XL
    Microtek ScanMaker i800
    Microtek ScanMaker i900
    Plustek Optic Film 7200
    Plustek Optic Film 7200i
    Reflecta DigitDia 4000

You might want to contact Siverfast directly to confirm this info.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com