Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS for backcountry work

Re: GPS for backcountry work

I have a IPaq attached to my LF Zone VI camera on a swing out bracket...it has a GPS CF card in it and I've written an app that I can catalog shots on. It records temperature (based on a small thermistor serial module I built), GPS position, elevation, digital compass reading, and I add the aperture, shutter speed, lens, film, etc info. This goes into a Oracle database when I return home. All negs are lo-res scanned for the catalog as well, and filed with a barcode into my neg file.

When I fold the camera, the unit folds down under the camera (kinda like the Sinar digital shutter controller).

Great for remembering or reproducing shots years down the road!

I'll be the goat here. I prefer a map & compass.
    First, I don't want to have to rely on batteries.
    Second, it is prudent to have a map and compass for a back up since batteries can die on you.
    Third, the only way to get really good with a map and compass is to use them.

GPS. I agree, is a very useful tool for the purposes that others here have mentioned, but for navigational purposes (unless you want to park a JDAM down someone's ventilation shaft) it is too easy use the device as a substitue for acquiring and maintaining neccesary skills. My 2-cents
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I dont think anyone here would completely rely on anything with delicate electronics or batteries for their survival out in the wilderness. But your point is a very good one about being proficient with map and compass before starting out on any backcountry trip.

I agree with John K. I have a Magellen color GPS. I don't need it. I use to teach compass and map reading when I was In special forces. I never document where I shoot. I mainly got it to mark a location I can get back to in the dark when hunting. If you have ever had to find an animal down in the dark I bet you own one. I can also download marine maps for when I go fishing on the mouth of the Columbia river. Some of the best salmon fishing in the world. It is also some of the most dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. When my son was in Ranger battalion he went to Jorden. I ask him what he would do when the GPS failed. His reply was "what are you going to do with a map that only has one contour line". Colin With a group this large I would bet my beret that there is someone here that will.

I use a Magellan Sportrak Pro. This unit cost me $150 and came with Topo software. It is nothing too fancy. But I have had it for about 4 years ago and still keeps me from getting lost.

I use a Garmin 60c, an Earthmate for use with Delorme Topo on a laptop, GPS built into my car and an old Magellan GPS. I find GPS to be extremely valuable. That said I also carry maps and a compass.

I have been thinking of getting a Gecko 301. Light, easy to use, doesn't have a map, but does have a barometer function. In total white out they are amazing, you can ski right back to your hut, car instead of digging in for the night. As previously mentioned they aren't a substitute for navigation skills. We don't teach our students to use one till they are in second year of Advanced Navigation.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

I have a Gecko 301. It's an excellent device and very light even including batteries. I still wouldn't trade it for map and compass. It's nice to have, but half the times I'm in the wilderness, they don't work. When you're 600 ft down in a 50 foot wide (or less) canyon, GPS just don't work (not enough visual on the satellites). Having a topo and compass are more reliable tools, imho. That being said, for less constrictive terrain, it is nice to have a good read on where you are and I have used GPS to find places I didn't find without one.
    Laurent

Don't forget about geocaching (.com) as well, now that you have a GPS to geocache with. I've found many a great location to photograph while out geocaching. I guarantee you'll find some greaat locations within a 20 minute drive that you had no idea EXISTED.

I have to agree with John K. A map and compass is a lot more reliable, and the compass works just as well under the trees as it does in the open. No bad satellite constellations to make the compass get wonky, either.

That said, I also use a GPS. I've got a Magellan SporTrak that works fine. In fact, they all work pretty much the same; I've never seen 2 GPS units that disagreed by more than a few yards. Get one that uses cheap batteries, because it'll go through a lot of them, then buy NiMH batteries and a charger, and carry a couple spare sets of batteries. Or your compass...