Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slavich Paper Anyone?

Slavich Paper Anyone?

Anyone else tried the Slavich paper from Freestyle? I'm working my way through a package of grade 3. Looks promising. Anyone else know much about it?

Re: Slavich Paper Anyone?

I got a 25 sheet pack of 8x10 grade 3 double weight, liked it so much, I ordered a 100 sheet box. This is good stuff.

Bump. OK, a few months have gone by. Anyone else tried Slavich yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Bump. OK, a few months have gone by. Anyone else tried Slavich yet?
    Alex,

I'm ordering grades 2,3,4 based in part on your preliminary response to it (well that and a chance to try another single weight paper).

I have recently switched from VC to graded Bromide paper anyway (I got a very good deal on Gallerie grades 2 and 3). But let's face it, doubleweight (anything) is like cardboard after azo.

When can we expect some Hawley 7x17's in the Gallery?

Mike Davis

I haven't tried it myself, but I saw some pretty good prints on Slavich paper at the FS Distributing booth at PMA by one of the photographers on Freestyle's advisory board (I forget who at the moment).

I have used both grade 2 and 3. I think that it is a quite nice paper. Very neutral. In my experience it seems to be a very contrasty paper. Grade 2 is more like grade 3. To get nomal contrast levels I use it with Anso 120 (like Koday Selectol Soft). I find it too harsh for my negatives with Dektol. It can be good for thin negatives. It is quite flexible when used with different developers. For an old time graded paper, it gets two thumbs up.

Alex, I've got a pack of 8x10 to try and will compare it to AZO and others. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Needs a red safelight. Came well recommended by FS. It's really inexpensive...so why not just try some. FS will refund in 30 days if you don't like it...I will post my findings when I get to it.

It is somewhat contrasty - had to use a water bath after about 30-45 sec in regular developer to control a high contrast neg. Do like the single weight. Appears cool tone rather than AZOs warmtone. I still prefer Kentmere Bromide for cooltones and am learning to control Kentona for warmtone ( it is very susceptible to developer fogging). But for smaller prints (11X14 & less) plan on using the Slavich paper.

I have used Slavich quite a bit. I rally like it in Ansco 130. I mainly used grade 3. I have been moving more and more towards Kentmere Bromide though as the blacks seem richer on the Kentmere. Slavich is very nice thou8gh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis
    When can we expect some Hawley 7x17's in the Gallery?
    Workin' on it Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by kjsphotography
    I have used Slavich quite a bit. I rally like it in Ansco 130. I mainly used grade 3. I have been moving more and more towards Kentmere Bromide though as the blacks seem richer on the Kentmere. Slavich is very nice though.
    That's pretty much in line with my observations Kevin. I must say, I like it better on most things than Kentmere Bromide. I'm not a big cold-tone fan. Slavich has just a slight bit of warmth to it when hit with the selenium.