Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 14in Commercial Ektar

Re: 14in Commercial Ektar

According to Grimes, IIRC, the Commercial Ektars will screw into appropriate Ilex shutters if the shutters are marked "made for Eastman Kodak" The run of the mill Ilex Universals apparently have a different size thread than the Kodaks
    The 14" Commercial is a beauty.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SF Bay Area 94303

I bought a 14 in Commerial Ektar in broken (solidified) #5 Amce shutter but almost perfect glass for $343. Carol has it now. We will see. It also had a ratty packard shutter on a 9 in plywood lens board behind it. I can't imagine what kind of camera it was on.

Kirk

The lens has its own shutter built into it. There is a ring in the middle of the barrel that turns and the shutter moves. So I am not sure if we are all talking about the same thing. I guess I could remove the front Ektar element and insert it into a shutter of the appropriate size. The lens was used in an 8x10 Deardorf as is and I know wonder how it was used? WOuld it have been completely inserted into a packard shutter?
    arthur

Maybe you're confusing the shutter with the aperture?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The ring you describe is the aperture. It's an iris that opens and closes - you'll see numbers along the rim by the ring.

That's for depth of field, not for timed exposure

Leonard- your #5 shutter was probably made for a 14-3/4" (375mm) Ilex-Calumet Caltar. That's the only lens I know of with that exact focal length. Not the same lens as the Ektar- but a fine optic none the less.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the great information. I've wondered about mating my #5 with a barrel mount Ektar because those lenses show up fairly often, usually much cheaper than ones mounted in shutter. But it doesn't sound like a workable idea. I suspect the 14 3/4" Caltar was never sold in barrel, although finding one in a bad shutter might be a possibility.

Scott Davis

It isn't that you can't do it - it will just be an expensive proposition, unless you just front-mount the shutter on the 14" Ektar. That you might be able to do with a minimum of expense (an adapter ring of some kind). You could take that to a machine shop and have them make you an adapter that would thread into the front threads on the Ektar and the rear threads on the shutter. The downside of this option is that the shutter is big enough that it could conceivably cause vignetting.

Just get a packard shutter, rear-mount it to the lens.

Will the 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar cover 7 x 17?

Thanks,
    Rick