Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How useful are lateral shifts for landscape photography?

How useful are lateral shifts for landscape photography?

I have front shift on my 8 X 10 and wouldn't leave home without it. I shoot the urban landscape and can't always put the camera where I would like. I don't use it as much as front rise and tilt, but it is definatley in my list of must haves.

I can live with minimal rear movements if the front had a healty amount of everything.

To accomplish shift with front and rear swings, you swing BOTH the rear AND the front so it is parallel to the rear. The relative positions of the front and rear standards are identical to what they would be if you applied front or rear shift alone. Granted, a bit more trouble, but still accomplishes the exact same movement. If your camera has ONLY from OR rear swing, this technique will not work.

I actually find lateral shifts to be very useful in landscape photography. I find them to be especially nice when doing close-up work when you only want to make a slight adjustment. Fudging it with swings, though definitely possible, isn't always a practical choice. When you only want to fine tune composition, shift (especially if it's geared)is a Godsend, at least in my opinion. How about this: try a camera with shifts and one without and see what you like better. Alternatively, use one with shifts, and then demonstrate to yourself what it's like trying to fudge a little shift here and there with the whole change-the-direction-of-the-camera-then-play-with-the- swing-until-things-are-back-to-normal-only-shifted thing. Hey, it works for some, not for me, so figure out what you prefer.

Just a thought...