Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAGNAchrom Issue #3 is now available

Re: MAGNAchrom Issue #3 is now available

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    Scott: maybe it's a no duh answer for you, but SAVE it to your desktop rather than trying to open from the link. Huge .pdf files often give me grief as well.
    That's what I do (download to file), and it halts with a damaged file. After several tries it just gets to be a WTF moment and I quit. I've downloaded other PDF and large files with no problems, or problem PDF's turn out to be the people generating the PDF file using old or MS-only programs. But I'm trying again.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Out of interest, why is it one big file anyway? Wouldn't it be better if each article was a separate pdf?

Best,
    Helen

Issue #1 was pretty lame, but showed some promise. Issue#2 was definitely an improvement, but still lacking. With Issue #3 they're finally in the ballpark of a good photo magazine. Keep up the good work, fellows! (I do hate the Adobe format.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    Out of interest, why is it one big file anyway? Wouldn't it be better if each article was a separate pdf?
    Thanx for the input Helen. We may eventually do that. But for now, each issue will remain as one compilation. Perhaps when we get to the point when we can offer both printed and online versions of MC will breaking the issues up make sense. Time will tell...

Michael...

I like the entire issue in a single pdf. It makes it read like a magazine. I have not printed a copy yet but I appreciate your instructions on how to do so.

The issue #3 was outstanding.

It's great to have a publication for medium and large format only.

Bill

LensWork Extended uses separate files but they all open under the illusion of one big master PDF. Interesting way to do it, but that doesn't totally work for me either.

I like the way MAGNAchrom is presented right now because it feels like a magazine rather than a bunch of files.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Knowles View Post
    Does anyone have problems downloading the issue? The last two issue have quit with errors about page 60-65 using Adobe Acrobat professional 7. I sent an e-mail. Since I currently use a dial-up line, the download is slow and bailing out after 80% of the way there isn't a happy thought.
    Dear Scott (and others having trouble w/ downloading the issue),

Unfortunately, it seems that approximately 1-2% of our users are being affected by the way we stream the file in 1mb "chunks" -- necessitated by our lame ISP who has been totally unhelpful assisting us. We cannot explain this behavior as it has nothing to do with the version of Acrobat you are using or the version of OS you are using. We believe it has something to do with how packets are processed by individual ISPs, but we have given up. We are in the middle of switching ISPs over the next two months so by issue #4 this problem will go away.

In the meantime, we will be setting up a secure ftp site for those users who cannot successfully download the bigger files.

We should have this up and running by next week.

Be sure to send email to customersupport "at" magnachrom "dot" com and mention you had trouble with "damaged files" while downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaBill View Post
    Michael...

This was my introduction to the magazine. Downloaded and read #3 from cover to cover. Great job. Best online photography magazine I've seen.

Bill
    Yes, I agree. Best issue yet. I wasn't so sure at first, I was really turned off by all the digital content in the first issue, but this one is much better.

Eric Biggerstaff

Michael,

Great issue! I really enjoyed the entire thing this time. It is becoming a nice mix of digital and traditional.

Look forward to future issues.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    Dear Scott (and others having trouble w/ downloading the issue),

Unfortunately, it seems that approximately 1-2% of our users are being affected by the way we stream the file in 1mb "chunks"...

In the meantime, we will be setting up a secure ftp site for those users who cannot successfully download the bigger files.

We should have this up and running by next week.

Be sure to send email to customersupport "at" magnachrom "dot" com and mention you had trouble with "damaged files" while downloading.
    Cool, thanks. It's interesting the way the file is transmitted in chunks, which may explain things on this end. My (local) ISP piggy backs off another (national) ISP which may also control the datastream if sent in large chunks. I've downloaded video files in 8-15 MBytes without any problems and often download Apple and Adobe updates, some over 100Mybtes and my G5 controls the datastream without any hitches, even notices other communications and disconnects to resume dataflow when reconnected. Another option is a mirror site?

Look forward to the issues. Again thanks.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean