Thread: How Long to wait for an E-Bay Seller Refund?

How Long to wait for an E-Bay Seller Refund?

Hello! I purchased a 5x7 camera about two months ago that was described as in "amazing" condition. The seller had a super rating and I purchased it. When it arrived, it was in amazingly bad condition. I doubt whether the seller had experience with cameras, especially large format.
    Anyway, I contacted the seller and he immediately agreed to take the camera back for a refund. I mailed it a month ago and a week ago, I sent a follow-up E-Mail to determine whether he received it.
    The seller hasn't responded. A week isn't a lot of time, and I would give him another week of two before following up with another E-Mail.

My question for those of you savvy E-bayers: Is there an E-bay time limit for complaints regarding seller non-compliance? I am happy to give the seller a number of weeks to honor his guaranty, but I don't want to wait too long so that I loose buyer protection. Best regards.

Mike

Re: How Long to wait for an E-Bay Seller Refund?

Forget about eBay buyer protection and other guarantees of that sort. There is always a etter chance that the seller is a good guy than that he is a crook, OTOH protect yourself ... call your credit card compay and get the payment refund going with them.

I have learned not to rely on any rating on e-bay whether it be the equipment or the seller or buyer. They are too frequently wrong. Many buyers hesitate to give an honest rating to sellers out of fear of retaliation.
    As for getting a refund in reasonable time, for the most part, forget it.

I've been through the same process on a lens that I bought and returned, lost $200 out of the deal.

I hope you used delivery confirmation or tracking of some sort on your return shipment. I didn't when I shipped my lens back, and the seller denied ever receiving it.

Even if he did receive it, all he had to do was notice that there wasn't delivery confirmation on the package and he knew that there was no way for me to prove that I had sent it back (even though I had a generic post office receipt).

I initiated a PayPal dispute demanding a refund, and they "investigated". Basically they asked me to supply the tracking information for my return shipment, and when I couldn't they denied my claim.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a time limit for initiating a PayPal dispute, I believe it is 60 days from purchase.

Good Luck, I hope that your seller is just slow and not trying to scam you.

I would start the ball rolling on getting the refund, if you used paypal start the action on getting them involved and getting the money back, if you used a credit card do like was stated and get them involved on getting the money back, if however you used a usps money order you will have the receipt on it and you can use that with the fact it would be considered fraud through the mail if the seller is not willing to cooperate. I am guessing here that you did put a tracking # on the item when you returned it and that you know for a fact that it did make it back to the seller and when it made it to him, Always cover you butt in situations like this, if the item has been in the sellers possesion for more than a week and no response to the email then you will have to take action.

Hi, in cases like this I think ebay would like you to try to contact the seller by phone to work out any problems before doing dispute resolution process.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Myself, would not wait more than about 10 days, before starting a process to get my funds returned,,of course how you go about this will depend on how you paid for the item and how it was returned to the seller, but make sure and start the process somewhere so that it is in the files that this is a returned item...if paypal, start the dispute process, part of it will depend on if you sent in a manner that has a tracking ability, if credit card, call your credit card company, if funded by your checking or savings account contact your bank and have them start a claim that you used your checking/savings account and did not receive your item in the manner describe and you returned it and also contact ebay, even if they don't do anything, it will be in their records that you have returned this item..

But I would not wait anylonger, also, request, through ebay the sellers contact information which will provide the sellers phone number and such he/registered with ebay and give them a call, I have had to do this a couple of times and got satisfaction almost instantly after calling, when they find out they can be personally contacted, they often times will refund money right away. If all else fails, contact your local law enforcement, they often times have a group that deals with this type of situation and can apply pressure.

I do hope this is just a slow person and you will get your refund without hassle, but you need to make sure you are following procedure to help yourself.

Dave

Hello! I called the gentleman and he said that he received the item back and will process the refund today. He was quite professionsl. It sounds like it was on consignment since he said that it is "back with the owner."
    In any case, once I receive the refund, I intend to give excellent feedback, since he could make a case that the camera was sold as-is, and I didn't follow the return policy exactly (being overseas tends to delay things!)
    I reviewed teh E-bay policy, and a dispute would have had to have been initiated within 45 days of purchase and I'm beyond that point, so I'm glad the seller has been very approachable. Best regards.

Mike

Hello! I just checked my E-Mail and he has refunded it! Nice action from a phone call. I would gladly do business with him again. Best regards.

Mike