Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dimensions of extension rail for 8x10 Eastman 2D?

Re: Dimensions of extension rail for 8x10 Eastman 2D?

Michael - I think the extension track for your camera is going to look pretty much like the fold-down part of your camera bed, only it will have the two locating pins. So you can get measurements from the folding bed, and measure where the extension track fastens on to get the spacing/size of the pins. From what Jim and Doug have posted, it sounds like your camera will have the quarter-turn lock for the extension. It should be the same as what locks the folding bed in place.

It occurs to me if you find another #2 with a really bad bellows which includes the extension track, you might consider buying it just for the track. As expensive as 8X10 bellows are, a bad bellows sometimes really knocks the price of a camera down. You may be able to switch the entire base/track from one camera to another, if the extension from the parts camera won't fit your camera well.

I spent some time trying to chase down the gear track as I figured I could make the wood and attachment bits. Unfortunately, I could not locate the track from industrial sources (mcmaster carr, small parts, etc) or from Richard Ritter. Richard Ritter said that the gear racks are not standard (at least not in this century) and I'd need to swap out the gears and gear racks on the entire camera......

What's the camera worth to you? If it is worth enough then I suggest that you make an extension rail and go back to McMaster Carr and get a rack and pinion set. Two racks and four pinion gears. Then you will have something that has continuity to it and will be smooth working and a pleasure to use instead of something jumbled together. Two 24 inch racks and 4 pinions will cost about one hundred dollars. What will waiting for an extension that may or may not work cost. The gearing will be new, which is better than a guess about some thing old on eBay.

A number of years ago I purchased a box lot of view camera repair parts from an old time camera repair shop that had closed. Included in the box were some pieces of unused brass track. I have just dug them out and some of the track is identical to that on my Kodak 2D 8X10. (Thickness same, width same and 12 TPI).

There are 4 pieces 4 1/8 long and 1 piece 8 1/4 inch long. Could be useful for repairing an existing 2D track or making an extension? Send me an email if you are interested in it.