Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's great about stitching with CS3 ?

What's great about stitching with CS3 ?

From other threads, I gather that the stitching function in Photoshop CS3 (beta) is great. What's improved from CS2 exactly ? How does it compare to a dedicated stitching program, in its capacity to work from less than perfect data, including lens distortion, parallax, and exposure differences between shots ?

Re: What's great about stitching with CS3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    From other threads, I gather that the stitching function in Photoshop CS3 (beta) is great. What's improved from CS2 exactly ? How does it compare to a dedicated stitching program, in its capacity to work from less than perfect data, including lens distortion, parallax, and exposure differences between shots ?
    I've used Realviz extensively, and it's been the top of the stitching apps. CS3 does just as well, and faster. they've improved their blending algorithm to the point where the stitching alone will be worth the upgrade. I recommend downloading the trial and giving it a go on your data

The final release of CS3 will have a better stitching function than the beta has, too.

Quote Originally Posted by chris jordan View Post
    The final release of CS3 will have a better stitching function than the beta has, too.
    Chris,

I haven't tried the stitching in CS3. How does it compare to Panorama tools with PT Stitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Chris,

I haven't tried the stitching in CS3. How does it compare to Panorama tools with PT Stitcher?
    I'm not Chris, so won't answer for him, but I will add my .02... Like Jim, I found CS3 to be faster and more accurate with essentially perfect "matched-to-the-pixel" blends. Add to that CS3 does the necessary perspective corrections (transforms) on the fly automatically and they are excellent, yet gives you full control over the type of projection you want and renders it accurately in the preview. Finally, the masks are left intact with the layers, so if there are any issues you can easily go in and tweak the blends -- though to be clear, I have not yet had the need to do this. And all this is with the Beta!

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I'm with Jack and Chris on this. CS3 stitch is finally 16 bit and entirely adequate for my needs. I tested 6 programs awhile back and found CS3 beta to be entirely adequate for my needs and comparable to PtGui and the others for flat stitching and well shot mosaics, though not as good on poorly shot mosaics.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

What Jack said...

"Add to that CS3 does the necessary perspective corrections (transforms) on the fly automatically . . . "

Could you explain this one? I don't understand what you mean by "perspective corrections." I think of perspective as the perceived spatial relationship between different objects in the photograph. I doubt that you're using it this way here but I'm not sure how you're using it, hence the question. Thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, you know how when you turn the camera, the perspective changes at the edges, especially with a wide angle lens? The correct term is parallax distortion. It can be reduced by using a special panoramic tripod head that turns the camera around the nodal point of the lens, but most people don't bother with that. So CS3 has a function that corrects parallax distortion, aligning the edges of images.

What Chris said, and it also corrects for different projections. IOW it will take a panned or spherical capture and generate bowed parallel lines at the apex of the pan a-la a swing-lens camera, or it can correct that projection to flat or rectilinear so the parallel lines are rendered parallel.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com