Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry, What can you tell me about this lens?

Kerry, What can you tell me about this lens?

Hi Kerry,

What can you tell me about the Fujinon 125mm lens listed on eBay regarding whether it is multicoated and the correct filter size of the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5043&rd=1&rd=1

When I queried the seller, he indicated that the lens had more than one coating, but not the latest EBC multicoatings and that the filter size was about 49mm.

I have a Schneider f5.6 120mm Super Symmar HM and I am considering getting one of the Fuji 125mm (with the smaller filter sizes) or one of the Schneider 120mm f5.6 Apo Symmar (or L) versions for longer hikes or even possibly backpacking with my Toho Shimo FC-45X.

Thanks very much.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 11-Feb-2007 at 18:49. Reason: Re-entered link
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Re: Kerry, What can you tell me about this lens?

I can give you a little bit of information, I have used a lens exactly like this one. The lens probably takes a 52mm. Though Fuji changed filter sizes sometimes, without warning. The lens is multicoated, but probably not the absolute latest coatings, but I have not noticed any difference betweeen the current EBC coatings and this series on any of the chromes I have taken. The image circle is about 200mm, which is quite a bit more than 120mm APO Symmar.

Hope it helps.

Gary

More toys Rich?

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    More toys Rich?
    Maybe, it would be a lot lighter and smaller for longer hikes than my outstanding Super Symmar HM.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Rich,

Your link didn't work for me. So, I assume you're referring to the current listing from seller dixie47.

Ask the seller to verifiy the 49mm filter size. I just looked back through my stack of Fujinon brochures and can't find any reference to a 125mm Fujinon-W with a 49mm filter size. They did seem to have trouble settling on the filter size for the 125mm Fujinon-W. I find examples of 46mm (late 1970s), 55mm (~1979-1982) and 52mm (~1983-1993), but no 49mm filter size in the 125mm Fujinon-W.

It's most likely the version with the 52mm filter size that was made for most of the 1980s into the early 1990s. The image circle is specified at 198mm and the weight is listed as 210g (early brochures list the version with 55mm filter threads with a weight of 123g - a physical impossibility).

I can't be 100% sure without seeing it in person, but I'm 99% sure it's EBC multicoated (if it's the one I mentioned above). Fuji began using their EBC multicoating process on some large format lenses (the original SWD series) in the mid-1970s. By the time they switched the 125mm Fujinon-W from the Seiko to the Copal shutter (late 1970s), it was EBC multicoated.

So, definitely a bit smaller and lighter than your Super Symmar HM.

A couple years back I picked up a 120mm APO Symmar for use on 6x12. I have taken it backpacking a couple times with my Toho. While the coverage is a bit tight on 4x5, it is definitely a bit more than Schneider's conservative 179mm image circle spec. Due to the limited coverage, it wouldn't be my first choice in a general puspose 4x5 lens in this focal length range (for that, I have the 110mm Super Symmar XL). However, for an occasional backpacking trip, the performance is excellent as long as you don't exceed the coverage. It does take 49mm filters, and my sample in Copal No. 0 shutter weighs 190g. If you're lucky enough to find one in a Compur 0 shutter it will weigh even less (about 160 - 165g). That would probably be my personal choice in a 4x5 backpacking lens in this focal length.

Kerry

Dave Karp

The lens looks just like my Fujinon NW 125mm f/5.6. Mine is in a silver ring shutter, and definitely has EBC multicoating. It shows the multicolored reflections that Kerry mentions on his site and in the article he wrote for View Camera. It has a 198mm image circle.

It is a very nice lens. Sharp as a tack. Small lightweight. Mine uses 52mm filters. It is one of my two favorite lenses.

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately with what appears to be the incorrect information provided by the seller and then requesting a second measurement of the filter size, the lens was purchased through Buy it now.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Dave Karp

Rich,

If you are interested, call Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. He usually has one of these, and if he does not, he can get one. The price will be good, and you won't have to worry about quality. Mine looked like nobody ever touched it before I got it. I paid a drop more than the buy it now price on the sample you were interested in for mine, and I had the piece of mind to know it was coming from Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Rich,

If you are interested, call Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. He usually has one of these, and if he does not, he can get one. The price will be good, and you won't have to worry about quality. Mine looked like nobody ever touched it before I got it. I paid a drop more than the buy it now price on the sample you were interested in for mine, and I had the piece of mind to know it was coming from Jim.
    Hi David,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I was thinking about calling Jim and having him try to find or lookout for one. He has been very good to me in the past.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

I have the 55mm filter version, and it's a wonderful lens, despite the awkward filter size. Funny, they had a logjam of them at KEH for the longest time, but appear to have sold them all. They must be getting popular again.