Thread: contrast values - colour head

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

contrast values - colour head

Dumb question time. I've been using Ilford filters in my old Omega for some of my variable contrast papers, but now that I have my new, used De Vere enlarger up and running and I might actually get to do some printing soon, I realize I don't have any colour charts for VC paper.

I do have an info sheet from Ilford showing Durst values for their paper, but do these value apply to DeVere, to other papers, or will I just have to spend a few nights playing with the yellow and magenta until I get it right for myself.

Any suggestions appreciated. Especially for Agfa VC, FB paper, I still have a pile of it on hand.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: contrast values - colour head

I'd guess DeVere uses Durst style numbers but I'm not sure. The other main choice is US style numbers.

OTOH I'd suggest just using any number for a starting point. Look at the print and then dial in more/less. The beauty of a colour head is you aren't stuck with grades. If you want a fraction more or less you can do it.

If you want to test then the Variable contrast book covers this. So does

http://www.butzi.net/articles/vcce.htm

Attached is the info provided by Ilford for their FB warmtone paper.

Hope this helps.

t

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    I do have an info sheet from Ilford showing Durst values for their paper, but do these value apply to DeVere, to other papers, or will I just have to spend a few nights playing with the yellow and magenta until I get it right for myself.
    Joe, DeVere uses the Kodak filtration. If you check online for different papers, they should give you a chart with the right exposure. You will find that all your negatives are about 1 grade too soft now. You need to develop to a higher contrast for a diffusion head.

I just got my DeVere up and running and started to print a few weeks ago. I am also in Ontario and there has been a real flood of DeVeres around here. What's up? Anyway, I am going through a calibration process right now for a few different papers. We should stay in touch.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    Joe, DeVere uses the Kodak filtration. If you check online for different papers, they should give you a chart with the right exposure. You will find that all your negatives are about 1 grade too soft now. You need to develop to a higher contrast for a diffusion head.

I just got my DeVere up and running and started to print a few weeks ago. I am also in Ontario and there has been a real flood of DeVeres around here. What's up? Anyway, I am going through a calibration process right now for a few different papers. We should stay in touch.

Hi;
    It was actually ammounced on this list not long ago, Toronto Image Works cleared out a pile of 504 DeVeres at $50 each (plus taxes, of course. ).

Mine was well beat up, but certianly useable. It really needed a lot of cleaning. The advice to take out the fan on the colour head and blow that area out resulted in a dust cloud bigger than a volcano erupting, but things are good now.

Anyhow, got my Kodak colour chart for my papers, so many thanks to everyone, not just need some time to start printing.
    joe

HI;
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

That's where I got my L1200. Lovely piece and well worth the trip from NY.
    Now all I need is the other half of the 6 X 7 femoneg plate.

There's a chart of filter values taped on my enlarger. A free bonus I guess.