Thread: Sight and Insight, A worksho with John Wimberley

Sight and Insight, A worksho with John Wimberley

Sight and Insight
    A Workshop on Seeing in Photography with John Wimberley
    September 21-23 2007, Medford, Oregon. Limited to 10 Students. Tuition $140.00

The most important aspect of photography is seeing. While equipment and techniques have their place, it is the quality and depth of ones' seeing that determines whether a picture is successful or not. Light reflected from surfaces is recorded by the camera, but it is the job of the photographers' eyes to see through those surfaces to the meaning within.

In this exciting workshop we will examine seeing from a number of perspectives. Some of the factors we will explore include: cultural conditioning, personal history, visual symbolism and the differences between the visual scene and the photograph. Because all parts of the body and psyche are interconnected, we will examine the important roles played by energy level, posture, movement and breath. Simple exercises to rest and refresh the eyes will also be presented.

In addition, we will examine the crucial contributions of peripheral vision and the intuitive organ of insight, the third eye. The goal will be to have our pictures reflect an ever deeper, richer, more meaningful experience of life.

This workshop is open to anyone with a camera, regardless of age, format, or whether digital or film.

John Wimberley is one of America's preeminent photographic artists. With 41
    years in photography, John's critically acclaimed work has been honored with
    60 exhibitions and has been published around the world. His work is represented in more than 400 public and private collections, including many major museums. John is also a retired yoga teacher and psychic, and brings a body-centered perspective to teaching photography.

For more information:
    Please email tjwimberley@ashlandhome.net, or call 541.488.5277
    Please visit John’s web site at www.johnwimberleyphotography.com.

Re: Sight and Insight, A worksho with John Wimberley

Don't know anything about his workshops, but I just went to his website and I sure love his landscape work. Beautiful images.

lazy retired bum

Re: Sight and Insight, A worksho with John Wimberley

I did a workshop with John last year in Vancouver, Washington, in the Portland area. I was initially concerned it would be too ethereal, spiritual or whatever phrase one wishes to use but he is terrific and down to earth. He's a real "mensch," friendly, gentle, but also deeply thought provoking. He is a master photographer, a wonderful printer and excellent teacher. I'd recommend it.

Eric