Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MacBook Pro?

Re: MacBook Pro?

Here:
    http://tinyurl.com/yscxsb
    Mine is just like the picture shown, 3 shelves, open all around.
    I don't remember where I bought it. It was not very expensive and has proven durable and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Won't this be a simple update to 10.4?. the hardware won't change necessarily will it?
    It will be a major new version rather than a simple update. I expect all hardware that was capable of running previous versions of OSX to be able to run 10.5 with no problem, but it is very likely that new systems will be fine-tuned to take the most benefit from 10.5.

Besides, there is also another angle: when you buy a new machine, you get a copy of the operating system with it, already installed. If you bought your new laptop now, you'd still have to buy 10.5 once it's released, which is not that much of a trouble as they have always been priced rather reasonably. But you would also have to install it with all that goes with it - backup data, settings, prefereces, bookmarks, actions, etc., install, restore all that you just backed up and then troubleshoot anything that wouldn't work. That could easily be half a day at least.

Waiting to buy new, you avoid at least part of the hassle. And if anything goes wrong, it is more likely you could get qualified help from Apple.

Kirk, Ken,

I am running CS3 in an Intel MacBook Pro. Which I assume you, Kirk, are not given the topic of this thread and that you are the OP. The public Beta currently available has several issues, one being general instability. It has crash several times resulting in lost work (not complaining, it is beta after all). The interpolation is broken when down sizing a large amount resulting in very bad moire patterns. Mulit step resizing was necessary. The killer for me was that the cursor was broken and would not show the size of the brush that is being used. Which made it next to impossible edit a mask correctly. I'm am part of the pre-release program and the latest builds have fixed all these issues. Also the Beta version of Bridge was extremely unstable. Keep in mind I am referring my experience on a MacBook Pro (Intel not PowerPC).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Marko, I have been using CS3 beta for some time now. Is it not 64-bit?
    Photoshop CS3 is not a 64 bit app.

I think Adobe's problem is that Vista isn't either, and MaxOS X.x isn't fully 64 bit either. Given the resources available, they apparently decided to concentrate on bringing new features to market rather than making the whole thing 64 bit.

For those of us, like me, who use some big files (like 1.1 GB), this is a major disappointment. From what I can tell though, Adobe doesn't test with files this big so they probably don't know about the performance issues some of us face.

And it's not like they have actual competition. When I asked the LightZone people about big files they were baffled. I got the infamous "nobody's ever asked for that before" line that every company uses when a customer asks for something they can't do. Sigh...

Bruce Watson

"Stay a step or two back from the edge" is always good advice. Don't get in a rush for the latest and greatest.