Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New camera design wishlist

New camera design wishlist

Hello all,

Well after much debate with myself, I have decided to look into the cost effectiveness of producing a folder made of ABS and hard anodized aluminum. I would like to pick your collective brains about what is and isn’t essential, and what to actually produce.
    I have in mind that a 4x5 would be the logical first piece to produce, but there are many very nice 4x5’s out there. Or is there more of a market for 8x10, 5x7, 4x10…?

What I hope to be able to produce (and how I plan to compete in the market) is a rigid camera design, made to high quality offered at a very reasonable price. Through the use of modern materials and manufacturing techniques I believe that I can make something pleasing to look at, but that is “bullet proof” in terms of field use.

So, my questions to you all are:

1. What movements are a must have?
    a. Is lens axis tilt a must or is base tilt acceptable?
    2. What do you like/dislike about the competition that I should incorporate/avoid?
    3. Minimum focusing distance / Maximum bellows length?
    4. Are removable/replaceable bellows a must have (i.e. for using bag bellows or replacing damaged bellows) or is that just a luxury?

And last but not least; If I should decide to go down this rabbit trail, are there any of you (three or four) who would be willing to “test” the Prototype for a week or so and give feedback? I was thinking that if someone doing a workshop could “loan it out” to some of the participants for comments and report back, that would be very helpful. (Steve are you listening?)

Maybe I’m crazy for even considering this, but as an Industrial Designer now and a Machinist in a past life, it would be very gratifying to produce something that is useful and economical.

Thank you,
    Muggs

Lightbulb Re: New camera design wishlist

IMO you can't get much better than looking at the specs for Mike Walkers Titan SF. It pretty well does all that you want it to and then some. I am a Linhof user normally, but the Walker is probably more versatile. It is also ABS, but surgical Stainless steel rather than Aluminium

http://www.walkercameras.co.uk

Good luck

Robin

Re: New camera design wishlist

sorry, that should read http://www.walkercameras.com

1) Rear: rise and base tilt. Swing and shift are nice options, but not mandatoryon the rear. Front: rise, shift swing and axial tilt.
    a) Axial is preferred and both is better.
    2) Weight -- make it light and rigid AND fast to set up.
    3) 475mm in 4x5, 650mm in 8x10.
    4) I prefer it and it allows for bag bellows with short lenses.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

I'd like it to use inexpensive, readily available parts -- Technika sized boards without needing a light baffle -- and be ultra lightweight but more robust than a Toho. You don't need a full Graflock back that is heavy -- give me a nice spring back with a lever riser. And a folding focusing hood option.

There are already plenty of great mid-weight cameras, as well as bargain priced studio monorails and exquisite Arca monorails... but doing a 3 or 3.5 lb flexy 4x5 that is a little sturdier than a Gowland, Toho, or Tachi would be pretty sweet. And I bet of all the categories, more paying customers would want a solid ultra-light than anything else.

I really don't think it wise to fund the R&D and go to production at this time. Better off building a camera for yourself, or maybe that's what you are thinking? I just don't see the market supporting another player against the likes of the lower end Tach's or Shen Hao's or the high end and more popular Ebony's. You might instead consider producing the odd size film holders at reasonable prices.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Front rise, shift and tilt. Rise and shift can be on a sliding lens panel, but tilt should be axial.

Rear axial tilt and swing. I don't need rear rise/fall and shift if I have that on the front.

With a sliding lens panel you don't need bag bellows, so it should be possible to make a 4x5" camera that will focus a 47mm lens at infinity. I know it's possible - my 24x30cm (9.5x12") plate camera can do that!

Maximum bellows length - the more, the better. At least 500mm for a 4x5" / 5x7" camera - why not make a 5x7" with a 4x5" back?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

I am 49 and wanted to come up with something that I could produce in my area of interest. Therefore I am open to any suggestions. I obviously would like to fill a “need” in the LF community, so if you think there is a more pressing need than a lightweight rigid 4x5 or 8x10 I’m all ears.

Wayne, what size film holders do you think there is a need for?

Ole, do you think that people would overlook a heavier camera for the ability to shoot 5x7 as well as 4x5?

Thanks,
    Muggs

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Muggs, I don't think the difference in weight is so great that it would swing the decision. After all much of the "structure" is the same, and of the same dimensions. The weight difference between a dedicated 4x5" camera and a 5x7" with a 4x5" back can easily be as low as a few hundred grams! This also leaves a little more room for the bellows, making both shorter and longer lenses easier to handle.

Confidently Agnostic!

Make it come standard with a mount for a light box & a negative holder so that we can hang it on the wall and use it as an enlarger as well