Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gundlach RADAR Anastigmat

Re: Gundlach RADAR Anastigmat

Quote Originally Posted by N Dhananjay View Post
    The Radar is a similar construction to the Tessar Cheers, DJ
    I recall the RADAR WA Extreme was a variation on the Protar? (whose construction is....?)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Radar was just the brand name of quality like Velostigmat was at Wollensak. It encompassed more than one formulae. But a 4.5 Radar is indeed the Gundlach equivalent of a Tessar design with the extra element to stear around the patent issues. 5 element 3 groups with 2 seperated in front of the aperture and 3 cemented at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    I recall the RADAR WA Extreme was a variation on the Protar? (whose construction is....?)
    As Jim pointed out, it looks like the Radar was just a designation - I remember Richard Knoppow talking of at least a couple of other designs carrying the Radar name, a telephoto design and the WA. I have a 'regular' Radar and it certainly seems to be a Tessar with an extra cemented element. If the WA is indeed a Protar design, which seems likely given the vintage, it is probably based on the Protar IV or V. The construction would be 4 elements in 2 cemented groups. Cheers, DJ

Ole Ole Ole ;-)

Half a Tessar and half Dagor! Truly a match made in hell...at least for the dagor part anyway. I guess you could liken it to what we will see in an upcoming award show audience...young beauties with crusty old geezers.

The extra element may be considered an extra thick coating as its purpose wasn't more than lawsuit avoidment. Gundlach were quite a bit more conservative than most with claims about their lenses but I think they would mention that the rear element could be used alone if it was as well corrected as a dagor.

The exteme WA Anastigmat is a pretty nice lens, not for sharpness but in how it makes the neg look, full of light and very handsome but not 'technically' perfect. I don't have the energy to look through all my catalogues but I believe it was a WA Rectilinear design and not a protar type...I could/may/probably am wrong on that since its been a while since I've seen a cutaway. My copy of Henney doesn't show this particular Gundlach lens by name though its design may well be in the book under a different name.

Happy snappin Y'all!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Sometimes I just can't resist a "gentle ribbing"...

As to the WA Anastigmat, I would assume that Gundlach would know the difference between an Anastigmat and a WA Rectilinear. So if the lens was sold as an Anastigmat, I would assume that to be correct - especially since Gundlach also made WA Rectilinears!

Back to Tessars and Tessar derivatives: These consist of one cell with all the power, and one which is all correction (very simplified). That's why they're not convertible: One cell has about the same focal length as the whole lens but considerably poorer performance, while the other cell may not focus light at all!

Indeed, thats why it couldn't be half a dagor.

I hope someone has a cutaway of the Ext WA Anastigmat, I remember it as being a very simple design...I may be forced to battle the silverfish and get into that cupboard with all the booklets! :-)

WOW! Thanks guys. That's a lot of (too much?) information.
    I will keep an eye on this thread while you guys discuss, but I just wanted to get my "Thank you" in.
    BTW, the camera needs some work before I can use it (I'm in the process) and I'll need to reclaim the darkroom and then yes I will be contact printing the negs.
    Thanks again,
    Muggs

I have a beautiful and late Gundlach Radar 8x10 6.3. It is in fact a 4.5 coated from the 60s. A limited number were made for NASA in response to an RFP. Both Gundlach and Kodak (Ektars) supplied lenses. The Radars are in Ilex No. 5 shutters and were designated f/6.3 under the specs required by the RSP. The aperature opens to f/4.5. I dont know how many were supplied to NASA, but the serial numbers all appear to have this format: REXXXX. I've seen 3 others show up on Ebay in the last 20 years. All conformed to the serial # format. Two were in the nineties (as is mine) and one was RE0100. Two of them still had NASA inventory tags indicating NASA in Langley, VA.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3253.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	214056

Quote Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
    Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been involved in Photography since about 1970 when, through a friend I developed my first roll of Kodak B&W Instamatic film. About 1980 I acquired an old 4X5 Graflex, and after falling head over heels inn love with LF, I purchased a Wista DX and "we" are very happy. I have however been out of photography for about 5 or 6 years due mostly to kids growing up and the like. Anyway...
    All that for some background (if anyone cares!).

I was recently given an old 8X10 camera with a Gundlach 12" RADAR f:4.5 lens with a Wollensak BETAX No. 5 shutter.
    Everything seems to work fine, but I have two questions:
    1. What are the collective opinions of this lens for landscape work?
    2. Is there a Copal shutter that would fit if I ever decide to upgrade the shutter?

Thanks,
    Muggs
    I loved my 12" Radar. It is one of the few things I have lost over the years. Mine strangely disappeared while participating in a workshop in the 70's. That taught me to always keep every piece of equipment which was on the trip in one bag, not several.

Hey Lifeless02, thanks for that interesting information.