Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gundlach RADAR Anastigmat

Re: Gundlach RADAR Anastigmat

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless02 View Post
    I have a beautiful and late Gundlach Radar 8x10 6.3. It is in fact a 4.5 coated from the 60s. A limited number were made for NASA in response to an RFP. Both Gundlach and Kodak (Ektars) supplied lenses. The Radars are in Ilex No. 5 shutters and were designated f/6.3 under the specs required by the RSP. The aperature opens to f/4.5. I dont know how many were supplied to NASA, but the serial numbers all appear to have this format: REXXXX. I've seen 3 others show up on Ebay in the last 20 years. All conformed to the serial # format. Two were in the nineties (as is mine) and one was RE0100. Two of them still had NASA inventory tags indicating NASA in Langley, VA.
    Attachment 214056
    Here’s one that I picked up on Friday, just mounted it to a lens board today. It does need the shutter CLA'd, the 1/2 and 1 second times are definitely slow. Glass looks nice!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless02 View Post
    I have a beautiful and late Gundlach Radar 8x10 6.3. It is in fact a 4.5 coated from the 60s. A limited number were made for NASA in response to an RFP. Both Gundlach and Kodak (Ektars) supplied lenses. The Radars are in Ilex No. 5 shutters and were designated f/6.3 under the specs required by the RSP. The aperature opens to f/4.5. I dont know how many were supplied to NASA, but the serial numbers all appear to have this format: REXXXX. I've seen 3 others show up on Ebay in the last 20 years. All conformed to the serial # format. Two were in the nineties (as is mine) and one was RE0100. Two of them still had NASA inventory tags indicating NASA in Langley, VA.
    Attachment 214056
    Thank you for sharing! I have been looking for a solid answer as to why the 6.3 version of this lens is slightly different from the rest. I also have a 6.3 version in an Ilex 5. Serial is RE0058.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E29952D0-8ABE-4B09-8F63-D38E863EFFF4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	231925This lens definitely makes a great image. I removed the limiting screw and it’s now a f4.5 instead of f6.3

Interesting, RE would be 1954 in the Kodak world. I had a 300 Radar on an 8x10 back in the dark ages (well, maybe the early 80s) and I had no gripes with it.