Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing

Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing

I was looking for a backpack for my 5x7 Nagaoka and stumbled upon the Photobackpacker's website with their Kelty Redwing backpacks.
    It looks like a really nice system, but how do you guys carry your tripod? Is there a way to securely attach it to the backpack?

Re: Photobackpacker Kelty Redwing

I have a Gitzo 1227 CF that is light enough to carry in one hand. But my pack, Kelty Coyote, has a bungie cord so I can attach it to the middle of the back if I chose to.

I use the compression straps on the side with a little noose at the bottom of the bag for one of the tripod spikes to slip into. I also put a piece of thin plexi in the pocket of that same side to keep the bag from deforming when I cinch it down. This is a big wooden tripod, btw, works very well.

I am not affiliated with photobacker but he does offer an excellent system especially if you want to use your current backpack. Shoot him an email as he is a really nice guy and very honest.

Kev

Does anyone know how the photobackpacker system compares to a Lowepro Trekker. I am using a Photo Trekker AW II for my 4x5 and 8x10, its heavy and not the most comfortable system around.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
    Does anyone know how the photobackpacker system compares to a Lowepro Trekker. I am using a Photo Trekker AW II for my 4x5 and 8x10, its heavy and not the most comfortable system around.

Thanks for looking.

Gary
    Gary,

They are very very different systems. the Lowepro Backpacks have all of the adjustable padding built into and adjustable and movable in the pack itself; they have a built in shoulder strap, harness and waistbelt system. The Photobackpacker system relies on using any backpack that is used along with a series of small padded cases with velcro that are generally put into the pack with a backing board so that all of the smaller bags- single or multiple lens and camera cases stay in place. The pack shoulder strap, harness sytem, and waist belt are what will ultimately determine the comfort of the carried system.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

You have to applaud a business like PhotoBackpacker for its determination to deliver a better, lighter product - but how do you carry your tripod. I don't mind carrying a tripod in my hand for a while, but it gets old after a few miles - and on some terrain you need both hands free.

Gary: the beauty of your pack is in its ease of use - one zip and you have access to everything. With the PBP system you've got more zipping and fumbling before you shoot.

My favorite system is also zipping and fumbling intensive. I carry one of the finest backpacks on the market - it's stuffed with various cases from the retail world that fit my gear perfectly, much as PBP has intended. My camera fits in a LowePro Omni Sport; my lenses, filters and cable releases fit in two Gnass lens cases; my film and all other LF accessories in a top-secret REI product; and the tripod fits snuggly centered on the back of the pack.

There is only one advantage to carrying a tripod on the side - not the center - of your pack: the tripod strapped to the side is closer to your center of gravity. On the negative side: a tripod strapped to the side of a pack usually renders the pack unbalanced; a tripod on one side with a counter weight strapped to the other side usually results in a pack that is too wide for many trails and situations.

I hate to divert business away from a company dedicated to providing LF photographers with a better solution, but I believe that you can do WAY BETTER than an F-ing Kelty Redwing and a bunch of cases that kinda fit your gear. Start with a pack that is large enough and fits well; mine is an Arteryx, but there are other top-notch pack manufacturers out there (Kelty was one of them - in the 70s).

PS: If you (not Enrico) are within a couple hours drive of Ann Arbor Michigan, go to the Bivouac and ask to speak with Randy or Rodger about fitting you with a pack. The Ann Arbor Bivouac has the finest selection of quality backpacks anywhere in the world (yes, they do carry some of the fine Euro packs).

Hi Gary,
    Santa brought me a Kelty Redwing 3100 and the Photobackpacker system for Christmas. I have used a LowePro Photo Trekker AWII for the last 3 years. I can only give initial results, but the "real backpack”, so far, wins "hands down!" I have gone out three times with the new pack system, but, so far, only short hikes. It was really comfortable.

I shoot 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10. Needless to say, I don't pack the 810 very far. It would not fit in the Trekker, with much of anything else, but I did not expect it too. In the LowePro, the 5x7 was really pretty tight, but workable. But I had to pare down the lenses that went along, relative to my kit for 4x5.

The LowePro is really very well constructed. It is a quality, sole purpose designed product. But, that design includes nearly bomb proof kit protection. The tradeoff is a substantial weight premium. My PhotoTrekker is over 3 years old, but looks as good as new. Nothing has ever broken or failed to perform. I never had any real issues carrying the LowePro for distances, but carrying less weight is, IMO, always to be preferred.

The Photobackpacker + Kelty Redwing combo is much lighter. The 8x10 can fit with a few lenses. There is much room more for the 4x5 & 5x7 kits. The Kelty pack is actually more compact that the LowePro, but there is not all of the foam protection and dividers. The Photobackpacker cases are lighter and have more compact profiles. Access is very good and it is easy to keep everything neat and orderly, which I struggled with on the LowePro.

I do not think that the level of protection matches the LowePro, but it is more than sufficient for most circumstances. Everything is well protected. The Photobackpacker is just much lighter. I am pretty sure that the Kelty pack is a better technical design for carrying any distance or length of time. It was comfortable on first trip out and continues to be. Did I mention that all of this is lighter than the LowePro?

The system is easy to use. The separate cases adhere very well to the backing board. Access is pretty good, but now, I would suggest getting the Photobackpacker modified Kelty that has full length zipper. I got my Kelty at REI purely out of habit. That is just where I buy outdoors gear, but only for 40 years now.

So far, I am a convert…

Cheers,
    Geary
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Most of this is very much personal preference, but this is what I do.

I have carried around photo gear for a long time and have found heavily padded cases a little overkill for travel and field work. I use an older Kelty Redwing with some lens wraps and a liberal supply of ziplock bags. For extra padding, I use regular things I need anyhow, like a towel or my focus cloth and I often want an extra jacket, first aide kit, socks, etc. I use a couple Calumet film holder cases for my holders. Sometimes I strap the tripod, but often, I just carry it.

Also, for me, it is important to pack the bag the same every time. This way I know exactly where things are when the magic presents itself.

The Redwing works ok for me, but I often think I might want a nicer pack about the same size. The internal frame is a must however if hiking very far and the Redwing is a good price/performance value IMO.

The photobackpacker system looks nice, but I think a lot of space would be wasted on unneeded padding for me. The film holder case looks nice however. I could see myself using that if I didn't already have a good solution in that department.

Dave Karp

I use a Redwing, without the Photobackpacker stuff. I like the pack.

I put one of the tripod legs in the cross country ski holder on the side of the pack. The tip of the leg goes in the little holder for the end of the ski. It works great. The suspension is comfortable and holds the pack straight, and the unbalanced load does not bother me at all. Others prefer to hold it on the back. The route I use is more convenient for me. Just make sure that you turn the head so it does not poke you in yours!