Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Must-Have Magazine

Re: The New Must-Have Magazine

I'm not quite to the point that Brian is, but i still believe that the publication is misnamed. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate irony as much as the next guy, but for those of us still in pursuit of traditional methods the title of the publication borders on the insulting. Perhaps that was the point. I don't know. Anyways, I would subscribe instantly to a publication called "Darkroom Magazine" that meant it. "If you're pissing in my boot and telling me it's raining, you're still pissing in my boot".

I agree with Brian about the use of title of the magazine. It should be "Lightroom user" to be a sister publication to the "Photoshop User" magazine. It's misleading. But, the title maybe a way to get stacked next to the PS User magazine and not into the computer section. It's a bit premature to come out with the magazine while the product it's promoting isn't out to the general public except as a Beta test.
    I also agree on the idea of photography is about the journey shared. I have always enjoyed sharing images with fellow photographers, hear their stories and learn from one another. Thats one of the goals I had set out for my group the "Portland Photographers Forum" and I believe its been a success.
    I also know the old saying is true as well. The more things change. The more they stay the same. I've noticed in PPF that the general discussion has change abit from developers and papers curves to resolutions and profiling. But the general discussion is always "Wow, How did you do that?" or "Where did you go for such a neat photograph!"
    It's that journey shared that we as photographers are in this and I believe we always will. Analog or digital? It matters not.

Hi Everybody:
    I've been hearing the same type of questions since we announced the launch of "Darkroom magazine," so I explained how the name came about in my blog earlier this week. You can find the story at http://scottkelby.blogspot.com/, and the post appears on Thursday, Jan. 11, 2007.

All my best,

Scott Kelby
    Editor and Publisher, Darkroom Magazine (The how-to magazine for Adobe Lightroom Users)

Old School Wayne

3) We fell that today's darkroom is the computer. It's a digital darkroom for sure (couldn't use that name for legal reasons either), but a darkroom nonetheless
    --------------------------------

Uh, no it isnt. Do you even know what a darkroom is? I think its despicable and deceptive, which probably pleases you to no end. Its like calling a logging company Old-growth Environmental.

Wayne

IMO, the choice of the name is consistent with the lack of creativity prevalent on the site. It is apparent that Photoshop = Photography, rather than a tool to support the craft. Sad, but I guess it is what one would expect.

I’m not a digiphobe. I use photoshop, but this naming travesty is truly pathetic.

I am going to my “Lightroom”, turn the lights out and print and then to my “Photoshop” to buy film!

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    I'm not quite to the point that Brian is, but i still believe that the publication is misnamed. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate irony as much as the next guy, but for those of us still in pursuit of traditional methods the title of the publication borders on the insulting.
    I still fail to understand why on Earth would a name of the magazine be insulting to any of you?

A magazine whose main and only area of interest is something you seem to proudly confess to have no interest in...

Get real.

I still think the title is misleading, or simply plain wrong. Maybe since an SLR is now often called a D-SLR, a simpler and more logical (more accurate) name would have been D-Darkroom. What surprises me is that yet another title jumps into the heap of magazines already professing to be the ultimate guides to digital imaging. Surprised to see Scott Kelby actually posting here, and I wish you luck with your publication, though the title choice seems substantially less clear than your previous articles, books, and lectures.

With over twelve years working with computers and imaging (including SDSU), I never really had any desire to work in a dark computer room, nor at a dark desk. In fact, even when I worked for other companies, the rooms and desks were well lit. Often there might be a colour temperature controlled viewing booth, but never a dark place upon which to perform imaging alterations. Digital Darkroom is only a term of the un-educated masses who don't understand what a graphics professional (or photographer) actually does with a computer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Marko, Because it implies an irrelevance to the traditional darkroom. It's as if I had built a magazine entitled "Photoshop fixes" and had nothing but recipes for pecan pies. I personally like pecan pies very much. Is that a justification?

Perhaps Digital Darkroom Magazine would have been a better title.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Richard is my kinda guy :P