Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruth Bernhard has passed away

Ruth Bernhard has passed away

Extremely sad news that I just received about 20 minutes ago: At the age of 101 years old, Ruth Bernhard has passed away.

Re: Ruth Bernhard has passed away

Condolences to the family for their loss.

The rest of us can only wish to live such a full and long life.

Very sorry to hear that. I attended her two-day workshop at the Palm Beach Photographic Workshops about 7 years ago. I guess she was 94 then and still going strong, very vital, very interested in photography and almost everything else in the world around her. We certainly have lost some great people from the world of photography in the past year or so.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Very sorry to hear that. I attended her two-day workshop at the Palm Beach Photographic Workshops about 7 years ago. I guess she was 94 then and still going strong, very vital, very interested in photography and almost everything else in the world around her. We certainly have lost some great people from the world of photography in the past year or so.
    She was, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most influential people in photography. I, unfortunately, never had an opportunity to meet with her, but I have spoken with dozens of photographers who had and they were better off for having known her. The entire world of photography is better off for Ruth Bernhard.

Ruth was a major force in our field. I had the pleasure of meeting her several times. One time, we sat and talked about Edward Weston. Now, she is with Edward and the rest of Group 64.
    The one quote I'll remember her by was "Today is the day". Tomorrow, I'll raise a pint to her and her wonderful energy.

This is sad news indeed. I took a workshop with Ruth in 1985. It was indeed a remarkable experience. The lightwalk was amazing. To see through Ruth's eyes was wonderful. Her critique was very positive and gentle, but I assure you, you knew what she thought about your work.
    The thing I was most left with however, was the wonderful humanity of the woman, and I think I was changed forever by it.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    Ruth was a major force in our field. . . .
    The one quote I'll remember her by was "Today is the day". Tomorrow, I'll raise a pint to her and her wonderful energy.
    "Today is the Day, Now is the Time." I had forgotten about that. At her workshop that I attended she handed out pages of materials containing sayings of one sort or another. That one was my favorite also. I tacked the sheet containing that one up on my darkroom wall where it stayed until our recent move. It's a great reminder for all of us who have seen a potential photograph but passed it by, thinking we'd return another day to make the photograph. Then when the other day arrives and we return the photograph has disappeared.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sad news. She was a great artist and a great teacher. Her "nude in a box" gets copied all the time even still and she had many excellent photo assignment ideas for instructors. I heard her speak in Chicago in the 80's. Very inspiring. After the talk the grad students who were hustling her around brought her out and said "Now Ruth, we'd like you to sign some books" and handed her a pen. She brushed it away politely and pulled out this beautiful old fountain pen. Her script was like something from a different age. I imagined her writing Weston with such a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Gould View Post
    Sad news. She was a great artist and a great teacher. Her "nude in a box" gets copied all the time even still and she had many excellent photo assignment ideas for instructors. I heard her speak in Chicago in the 80's. Very inspiring. After the talk the grad students who were hustling her around brought her out and said "Now Ruth, we'd like you to sign some books" and handed her a pen. She brushed it away politely and pulled out this beautiful old fountain pen. Her script was like something from a different age. I imagined her writing Weston with such a pen.
    Samuel Johnson once said “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Ruth Bernhard treated everyone like gold...all the stories I hear from the photographers and curators I've spoken to today are so inspiring. Bernhard was truly a blessing to the world...and now she is a blessing to Heaven.

Sad news. I wish I had been able to go to one of her workshops.

John Sexton sent out an email with the announcement of her death and included Ruth's "Recipe For A Long and Happy Life". I guess it's OK to repost this here:

RECIPE FOR A LONG AND HAPPY LIFE

1. Never get used to anything
    2. Hold on to the child in you
    3. Keep your curiosity alive
    4. Trust your intuition
    5. Delight in simple things
    6. Say "Yes" to life with passion
    7. Fall madly in love with the world
    8. Remember: Today is the Day!

Ruth Bernhard
    October 14, 1995
    Sounds like some very good advice.