Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SK Grimes Lens Caps

SK Grimes Lens Caps

I had a chance to peek around on the SKGrimes website and noticed they make some pretty hefty lens caps out of hard plastic.

Does anyone have these bad boys, or does it seem a little silly to "pimp out" your lenscaps?

Ben

Re: SK Grimes Lens Caps

Although I don't have any, they've been discussed here a few times in the past. Those who bought them seem to be quite pleased with the extra protection their robustness provides.

I used to own one. It was an excellent cap. I don't now remember which lens I bought it for or even why I bought it as opposed to just getting a normal cap but whatever the reason I wasn't disappointed despite the steep price.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I just found these: Cheap alternativehttp://www.photofilter.com/hoods.htm#Lens%20Caps

I have a set which came with my 360mm APO-Nikkor Lens which Steve Grimes installed in a Betax #4 shutter. These caps are the strongest lens caps I have every used. If you have high quality glass which you do not want scratched, then these caps are worth the money for they will not compress with normal applied pressure or flex so as to contact the glass; they fit like a glove.

Grimes made a few for me, the smaller ones were $25 and the larger, 70mm, were $35. They fit perfectly and are very rigid.

I was hesitant to spend the money but happy I did. A couple of close calls with the stock caps convinced me I needed to upgrade.

When Steve remounted a 38/4.5 Biogon in Copal 0 for me he gave me front and rear caps for the lens. The cells are in short barrels, both have glass protruding well beyond the ends of the barrel. The caps fit perfectly, stay on, and are shaped to protect the glass.

The only thing I've seem remotely like them are the screw-in caps that came with my 260/10 Nikkor-Q (= Process Nikkor).

Ben, if you have a lens with protruding front or rear elements, an SKG cap isn't "pimping," it is a necessity.

Some of the current lenses have really thin caps and very close, bulbous lens elements, especially the Rodenstock wide angles...

I bought some for my Kodak 203 mm Ektar mostly because it didn't have any lens caps and it's a really odd size.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    I bought some for my Kodak 203 mm Ektar mostly because it didn't have any lens caps and it's a really odd size.
    I did the same as Diane for a 203 Ektar, and got some as well for a Zeiss Jena Biometar years later. Great fit, very well made and no comparison to the standard stuff. No risk that it will ever touch the glass.