Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

Re: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

Rider,

I'll second and third the Manfrotto 410.

IMHO, the 410 is much more convenient for LF than for a 35mm. Conversely, a ball head would be more convenient for a 35mm than it is for a LF (depending on the LF camera, of course.)

Gads, a Tiltall... I've not thought about that tripod for many, many years. They were quite the pod back in their day and worked very well for both 35mm and medium format. I'd always remembered these pods as being very, very functional!

Ah, the memories of gear gone by!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

For 35mm, the Markins is a work of art. It is a joy to use. For LF where a ball head is a pain because of the heavy, unbalanced camera, I suggest a Bogen 405. With a stable tripod (I recommend a Gitzo 1325), the Bogen head allows you to get perfect framing of the shot with total control. I've bought a lot of tripod heads over the years but with these two, I'm done.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Another vote for the Tiltall.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

My answer is the (newer, lock-up resistant) Arca Swiss B1 with quick release lever - it's lighter (by a Power Bar's weight) than the BH-55, and I trust the cleverly designed double safety QR lever; the BH-55 lever is wobbly, and more susceptible to inadvertent, gravity facilitated, mishaps. YMMV. The BH-55 is also bulkier.

I have a Kirk BH3 that I like - the tension control could be better but it's a pretty sweet ballhead for my 35mm lenses 180mm and shorter. I have taken sharp images with a 500mm f4 mounted, but under ideal conditions; furthermore, I never trusted the BH3 on G1228 leg set with my 4X5. If your LF rig is light and your lenses wide, a BH3 might do the trick.

Doug, I thought the new AS head was out there - I recall reading a thread that reported a panning base that wouldn't lock down securely - bummer if true. I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on one. I would also like to check out the newer Arcatech head, but for now the AS B1 is great...and I can do without another Power Bar in the pack.

Yet another happy long time Tiltall user. It sees action holding everything from 35mm to 4x5 Technika.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    My answer is the (newer, lock-up resistant)
    I have a Kirk BH3 that I like - the tension control could be better but it's a pretty sweet ballhead for my 35mm lenses 180mm and shorter. I have taken sharp images with a 500mm f4 mounted, but under ideal conditions; furthermore, I never trusted the BH3 on G1228 leg set with my 4X5. If your LF rig is light and your lenses wide, a BH3 might do the trick.
    I'll second that. I love my Kirk BH-3 for 35mm and MF work, and it was useable for 4x5 with my wood field camera. It really is a nice ballhead and would be a good choice if you plan to be traveling a lot and weight is a concern.

I have since upgraded to a Markins M20, so my Kirk BH-3 is for sale. I paid $255 but I'll let it go for $200. It's in pristine shape.

Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

I think the observation that it depends on the subject rather than the camera is probably true in my case. I already have a Kirk ballhead (I think it's the BH-1) that I paid a lot for when I first got into 35mm, and a heavy-duty 3-way tilt head from Calumet that I paid peanuts for. Both heads could be used with either my 35mm or the Wisner field camera. The ballhead is (1) easier to pack and lighter, but sturdy enough and (2) quicker but the 3-way is more precise and deliberate. I'm going to have to pack both of them for my next trip, and see which one gets more use.

One question on the BH-1: the plates I have for it are all metal and could easily scratch the wood on the bottom of the Wisner. Do you know if padded plates are made for this type of quick release ball head?

I used to take my NPC Prohead and an old Gizo... or even an old geared Linhof, why not change to a Berlebach wooden 8033 like I did (integrated large ballhead) or 9033 slightlylonger folded, strong, light and cheap

Richard

Interesting to see the different opinions on the ballheads. Kind of like opinions on cameras, all over the place. I have owned a Gitzo (all-around terrible head), Kirk BH-3, Acratech Ultimate and RRS BH-55 and BH-40. The Kirk would not tighten on the pan screw tight enough to hold and did not hold my camera pointing down (creep) or walking around over my shoulder. The Acratech held super tight, but had a huge amount of flex in it when my bellows was extended at all. The RRS BH-55 holds rock solid, has no flex and based on my experience, is an ideal head. I never think about it when using it. It just does what I want it to do. The BH-40 (backpacking and air travel head for 1127 tripod) is not nearly as solid, but does a good job.

It is great to hear the different perspectives on the same product. Like most things, you have to try them yourself and judge for yourself.

I'm surprised that folks use a Tiltall for LF. I've used mine since the 60's for 35mm, but never thought to use it when I moved into 4x5. I just assumed it wouldn't fill the bill, so I bought something much heavier.

But now, on second thought, it would probably do just fine. Hmmm.