For those who have their own websites, what hosting site (or hosting sites) do you use as a place to put your website for internet access?

> What do you like about them?

> What's their maximum space alloted per customer.

> What don't you like about them?

> How much do they charge per year for hosting a website?

> How much do they charge per year for domain name registration or renewal?

> What kind of technical support do they provide?

> How long have you used them, and would you recommend or not recommend them?

I'm asking, because I'm looking for a hosting site for a friend's site. But in general, I thought it would be interesting to hear about the different sites that people use, and why they might be good for photography.

I'll start.

I'm currently using www.ipowerweb.com. It's a little more expensive at about $97 per year, but they have a system that enables one to host up to 100 websites as sub-domains for that price, and their annual renewal for domain names is $6.95/name/year. As to sub-domains, to visitors it looks the same as separate websites. I have multiple websites that I want to upload, so this plan works well for me.

They alot up to 50 gigabytes for those up to 100 sub-domain websites and 750 gigabytes transfer. (Whatever the latter means?)

They have quite decent technical support BY PHONE! However, they avoid getting into questions about website design, and concentrate on possible problems with hosting. Still, after getting the right person, they helped me solve problems on uploading a website for the first time and instructed me on some stuff that could technically come under the "design" umbrella.

Not too much to dislike about them, except that one guy turned me down on helping me with something that someone else said they could help me with prior to my signing up. I called back again, got someone else, and no problem.

I like them, but too new to recommend them yet.

I tried 1sthostweb.com. Yuk! I needed technical support to get going, and using their email tech support didn't work. Might be OK otherwise, but I didn't get that far. Their "tech" support also didn't help me repointing my domain name that I have registered there. I had to go to sales to get that done, even though that service request falls under the tech support umbrella. Tech support also couldn't help me with something that turned out to be extremely simple. They said it was too complicated to answer. Their tech support was outsourced I think. Their written text had an obvious accent. (I don't mind the accent; I just needed the help.)