Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a public darkroom?

Landscape/Still Life

What do you look for in a public darkroom?

Hello all, I am in the process of planning to open a darkroom rental place in South Florida, I could use some feedback on what everyone out there would like to see in a place like this? I am trying to get some real responses from people who know what they want in a public darkroom... I am looking at 10 to 20 B/W stations, plus having a place to mount and process all size films... whether it be by tray or by tanks for roll films... I am also planning on having a Gallery within the building for shows and to sell prints... I appreciate any real responses... Thanks in advance...

Re: What do you look for in a public darkroom?

Air conditioning, fresh chemistry, excellent wash facility, supplies for sale, extended hours (at least some days) and a clean environment.

Good, straight easels. Good ventilation. Not having to share dev/stop/fix with 5 other people. Late night printing. Good lenses. Being able to enlarge negatives up to 8x10.

Ted,

Aside from cleanliness and some of the other requirements already mentioned... I would think that it's prudent to hire staff who have knowledge, experience, and are friendly to work with.

Remember, your staff are the front line to the public and will make the strongest first impression.

Also, you may want to have some basic darkroom seminars to attract new users.

Good luck on the venture.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I would make the lab easy to convert into a conventional commercial lab during the early morning shift so that you could do custom printing for clients to supplement your income.

It would also mean keeping every station up to "pro" standards for alignment.

The rental darkroom in Rochester used a premium membership program so that members could make reservations and get additional services over the walk-in customers. For profesionals who need to depend on you, this is an important factor - I don't want to get bumped by some yok and am willing to pay extra to reserve a reliable station.

However, this place went out of business along with every other rental darkroom I've ever known. LOTS OF LUCK you will need it in spades.

Geos

I'd have something to do while waiting for print washing/drying. How about having cappuccino and scones in the salon, with wireless internet access. It should be a place photographers get together and hangout. It should be a fun place.

Finally, I wouldn't just limit yourself to analog. You should have some digital work stations with scanners and printers. They could bring in their files (or via the web) print their stuff, with the materials they want, with the printer they can't afford, and walk out with a print. This is especially true for digital B&W.

Ventilation. Oh and having someone to replace the chemicals is good. Nothing sucks more than going halfway across town only to find that you don't have any fix. I speak from personal experience. long open hours are also good, as you never have enough time in the darkroom. Finally, a lack of creepy buggers and roaches.

Stuff I don't have.

An 8x10 enlarger would be nice-)

A large colour print processor.

Cute darkroom girls.

Doug Dolde

Sounds like a great way to lose your shirt.