Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Still Printing Chromes?

Anyone Still Printing Chromes?

I've finally got a chrome worth printing but can't find any of my beloved Ilfochrome and gather its been discontinued. Does the same apply to the Fuji type R material too? Their website says its available but photo suppliers in LA tell me otherwise. I would love to pop out a few 16x20s but think I may have to have my chrome scanned and printed but...am......resisting.....the .....pull...of....the.....easy way out!;-)

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Re: Anyone Still Printing Chromes?

try this http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/index.php and "If you would like to see other products featured or have other questions or suggestions, please contact us using the contact page."
    hope it helps

Although the Ilfochrome product line has been curtailed a bit, it has not been discontinued. Previous Ilfochrome retailers, however, may have been caught in the supply drought that existed a year or two ago when Ilford was in receivership, and haven't re-ordered. The Ilfochrome and inkjet paper lines were purchased by Oji Paper of Japan, but are still marketed under the Ilford brand in accordance with the purchase terms. Oji, however, hasn't been particularly aggressive with their marketing.

Calumet appears to carry Ilfochrome papers, even if on special order. It's also possible that some former dealers don't want to commit to the new, post-receivership purchase minimums, and use the discontinued myth as an excuse.

B&H Photo and Adorama both list/stock Ilfochrome paper. I could not find chemistry for the paper from Adorama. B&H has at least some/most? of the chemistry in stock. Some may be out of stock however.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    am......resisting.....the .....pull...of....the.....easy way out!;-)
    And it should be difficult? Let's face it: we're not illuminating the Book of Kells here, dudes.

Its easier to go to a lab and have them do it, sure. I just like printing and wouldn't mind enlarging the chrome myself as there are some tiny wee corrections I'd like to make in cropping and in the colour of the image. I tried B&H online but it seems the bleach can't be shipped and only picked up. I make my own developer and the fix is the same as any standard B+W fixer so don't need to pay $$$ for that. Thanks for the help guys!!

Keep a look out for my upcoming book...'The Kells Revisited-This Time they Mean Business!' ;-)

Dude, aren't you in LA? Calumet in LA can order any of that stuff for you and you can pick it up. Nobody and I mean nobody will ship cos of the hazmat fees associated with it now. B&H refused to ship Rodinal to me cos they said it was caustic. Pretty funny, one of their salespeople referring to something else as "caustic."

W.

Its easier to go to a lab and have them do it, sure. I just like printing and wouldn't mind enlarging the chrome myself as there are some tiny wee corrections I'd like to make in cropping and in the colour of the image. I tried B&H online but it seems the bleach can't be shipped and only picked up. I make my own developer and the fix is the same as any standard B+W fixer so don't need to pay $$$ for that. Thanks for the help guys!!

Keep a look out for my upcoming book...'The Kells Revisited-This Time they Mean Business!' ;-)

I've finally got a chrome worth printing but can't find any of my beloved Ilfochrome and gather its been discontinued. Does the same apply to the Fuji type R material too? Their website says its available but photo suppliers in LA tell me otherwise. I would love to pop out a few 16x20s but think I may have to have my chrome scanned and printed but...am......resisting.....the .....pull...of....the.....easy way out!;-)
    Bob Carnie, over at the Elevator Gallery in Toronto, can print this on Ilfochrome using his Lambda printer.

http://www.elevatordigital.ca/index.htm

I called Calumet earlier today and besides having to tell the salesperson exactly what the paper was used for was told that 'We don't stock it anymore, its been discontinued'.

Yeah, you would think that in a 'photo' town like this there would be a bunch of places that would have it but no, there really isn't. How Ilford plans to stay in the biz when one of the biggest outlets for photo gear says you are discontinued tells me the sales folk aren't too motivated. B&H(Beards and Hats) aren't the only ones that don't ship Ilfochrome chemistry, you can go anywhere and buy some paper but try the chemistry for fun, you only really need the bleach the rest is plain old B+W stuff as I'm sure you know.

Time is somewhat limited as I have to have four 16x20's by next week so can't wait so have gone to the scan and print method but will still need more prints for later so will get the Jobo dusted off and warmed up ;-)

Yeah, you would think that in a 'photo' town like this there would be a bunch of places that would have it but no, there really isn't. How Ilford plans to stay in the biz when one of the biggest outlets for photo gear says you are discontinued tells me the sales folk aren't too motivated.
    I don't think Ilford (as in Ilford/Harman Technologies Black and White films and products) has anything to do with Ilfochrome anymore, nor does it comes through the same distribution lines as HP5, DD-X etc
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog