Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nick in lens...

nick in lens...

Hi.
    Just got a 300/500 symmar convert. yesterday. What I initially thought was a bubble in the front element...turns out to be and ever so small flaw, nick, chip, or whatever in the glass. Should I return? I may never buy from this place again, as I think they are slipping a bit in the quality of the stuff the send out as "bargain". Then again, bargain is indicative of lenses that might have "marks" that "should not" affect picture quality. On the other hand, shot with it (once) yesterday...REALLY liked the results.

The problem is, I REALLY like the lens. Will this slight imperfection be a problem down the line? All my other lenses are "nick free"..Little confused...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: nick in lens...

If the nick is on a edge, it probably won't matter. In the middle, and it might matter. Since you like the results, it doesn't matter. The only thing that might matter is that every time you look at the lens you will see the nick.

if that place is keh, you can email a complaint that the lens has a chip on the glass. They usually offer a discount. Last time I did that they offered me ~20% discount on the lens. Of course, you can always return it, but you lose shipping both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    if that place is keh, you can email a complaint that the lens has a chip on the glass. They usually offer a discount. Last time I did that they offered me ~20% discount on the lens. Of course, you can always return it, but you lose shipping both ways.
    You must be reading my mind. I JUST emailed, along with a picture! Think this will cause a performance problem? Oh, and yes, it was KEH.

Perhaps that is why it was graded "bargain". Other than that it looks pretty good. That bit of Schneideritis won't harm a thing. Is the shutter running okay?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Perhaps that is why it was graded "bargain". Other than that it looks pretty good. That bit of Schneideritis won't harm a thing. Is the shutter running okay?
    The shutter is crisp and accurate. What the hell is Schneideritis???

Schneideritis is a condition that Schneider lenses are prone to get where the blacking material (paint?) on the edge of the lens elements starts bubbling and/or flaking off. I've read about people with Rodensticks that have the same issue, but it's generally Schneiders... hence the name.

Do you mind if I ask a really impolite questions? So, how much did that lens sell for. That's what I'd use as the metric of how upset I was, or what I'd do about it... if I were you.

I bought a Hasselblad lens not long ago that was selling for a very nice price. When I got it, I looked at it and shot with it and couldn't figure out why I got such a deal. Later I was cleaning the front element and noticed a small spot where the coating was worn/damaged. It is still one of my favorite lenses but every time I use it I see that spot. Given the price I paid, I can live with it and not let it bother me too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Schneideritis is a condition that Schneider lenses are prone to get where the blacking material (paint?) on the edge of the lens elements starts bubbling and/or flaking off. I've read about people with Rodensticks that have the same issue, but it's generally Schneiders... hence the name.

Do you mind if I ask a really impolite questions? So, how much did that lens sell for. That's what I'd use as the metric of how upset I was, or what I'd do about it... if I were you.

I bought a Hasselblad lens not long ago that was selling for a very nice price. When I got it, I looked at it and shot with it and couldn't figure out why I got such a deal. Later I was cleaning the front element and noticed a small spot where the coating was worn/damaged. It is still one of my favorite lenses but every time I use it I see that spot. Given the price I paid, I can live with it and not let it bother me too much.
    just over 400...did I get ripped? Could have gotten a Multi coated for a few bucks more, but I liked the idea of using the 500mm option. Oh, and given the circumstances, your question is not impolite.
    I've only bought (and kept..for a while) one lens with a chip...it was a 40mm hasselblad lens. Maybe you got it. :-)

I don't think you got ripped at all. If I were you (but don't let that influence you any), I'd keep it... especially since you were happy with the results.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Brian

Oh... I meant to also say... that really IS a sweet focal length combination!