Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 210mm question

210mm question

I have a kind of crazy question. I have a 210mm f/6.3 computar symmetrigon. I really like the lens but it's kind of big. The weight is ok but it takes a substantial amount of space in my bag. I've noticed that about 80% of my shots are from this lens and have been thinking of replacing it with a nikkon 200mm M lens. Will i gain any thing from this? I am shooting a 4x5 wista and exclusivly velvia. Thanks in advance.

Re: 210mm question

Nikkor M series are great lenses based on Tessar design I believe. Sharp. Only thing you will gain is more compact and a little more angle of view...I believe the maximum aperture is f/8.

Thanks andrew. I am not all that worried about the f/8 over 6.3. What about sharpness and colors etc? do you think i'll gain much? It's going to be twice as much as the computar so I am still wondering

Trying to tell one reasonably modern lens from another is difficult and I wouldn't bet the bank on it. The Nikkor is multicoated versus single coated, and because it is a 4/3 tessar design, has two less air/glass interfaces than the plasmat (reportedly) symmetrigon at 6/4. You might be able to tell the contrast and saturation would be bit higher with the Nikkor, which usually gives an impression of greater sharpness.

If you think the Nikkor is worth it for the bulk and weight, go for it and anything else is a bonus. I do have a Nikkor 200M and it is a very nice piece of glass and you won't be sorry.

Steve

The Nikkor will have more contrast. I have found all my Nikkors to be contrastier than a couple of Schneider lenses I used to have. I am only basing this on what I have seen with my lenses...not fact.

...as far as it handles colour, I have no idea. I have never shot a colour sheet of film in my life. I'm sure it performs just as well as your Computar in this regard.

The Nikkor 200M is a fine lens. It is small and light and produces sharp images with nice contrast. The IC is 210mm which is enough for reasonable movements in 4x5. I recommend it highly.
    Dave B.

The 200M is really small and light. Very sharp and contrasty to. Though I doubt you'll see a noticable improvement in image quality over what you already own. So it probably comes down to how much small/light is worth to you.

If you wanted something "in between" in terms of size and weight, how about looking for a Schneider Xenar f/6.1 210mm? These are very sharp from wide open. Nice and contrasty too, even though they are only single coated.

The Nikkor lenses are pretty terrific... sharp and very contrasty. I use the 150 and 240 versions.

Out of curiosity... how did you decide on the 200 instead of some of the others that are readily available?

For example, the Apo-Sironar-N has an image circle of 310 and is an f5.6 instead of f8. And, they both go down to f64.

Or, as Chris has suggested... the Xenar has an image circle of 249 and is an f6.1. This lens goes down to f45 instead of 64.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

FWIW, I've never met a Nikkor M that I didn't like, but another option you might consider is the 203mm f/7.7 Ektar. They're single coated but if small and lightwieght with lots of coveage on a 4x5 is what you want, then its worth considering. IMHO you can expect them to perform kind of like a baby 19" Artar.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White