Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paris with 8x10

Re: Paris with 8x10

Here's a few of the 8x10 pt/pld images from the trip, as requested...I hope.

Attachment 1255

Attachment 1256

Attachment 1257

Attachment 1258

One other comment on gear transport. I photographed my tripod, camera (set up), film holder w/sheet of film, and lenses. I took them to a copy joint and lamenated them and then atteched to case/pack/bag they were packed in. I think it helped showing the airport security people the photos and saying it was an Ansel Adams bellows style camera. They seemed to understand and it put them at ease.
    My tripod I packed in an 8" diameter PVC tube with end caps and threw it in a duffle bag for checked luggage. Lamenated photo of tripod attached to duffle like a name tag. I also taped photos of tripod on PVC tube.
    They did a hand check of all passengers' carry on items at Paris airport on the way back. Not usually done apparently and again the only thing I had to open up was one of my 3 lenses in a lens wrap.

Here's two more images of Paris for Christopher Perez.

Attachment 1260

Attachment 1261

Yikes! Your images look wonderful in platinum.

How were the on-lookers when they saw what you were up to?

Paris is my favorite city on the planet. Thanks! Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Finley View Post
    ... Here's two more images of Paris for Christopher Perez.

I have always felt Atget was a natural genius, while I have met a few others who just didn't get it. When I first saw his work I found it quite inspiring. A man with no training and probably some of the worst equipment made, but with just his love of his subject matter was able to capture it's true essence. This gave me hope that I could achieve a measure of competence at this game. It amazes me that if it weren't for Bernice Abbott all his work would have been lost.

Hi Robert,

Sweet images!

Did anyone give you a hard time for setting up a tripod?

IIRC, there are some places in Europe that really frown on photogs setting up a pod on the street. Seems to me that I remember reading on this forum that Rome was one such place.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Congratulations Robert for your images taken in Paris.
    About image #1003, one of the famous statues by Aristide Maillol (1861 - 1944), there is a funny picture, I think it is by Robert Doisneau, taken when a couple of workers installed or moved the statue ... by hand ;-). I let you imagine the scene ;-)

Same question here: any problems with officials about setting up tripods?

Tripod was not a problem. I'd first consider if I was going to screw up others property(mark floors,grass in parks,etc.). then try and set up out of pedestrian traffic as much as possible, thus avoiding an ass chewing. Maybe beside a lamp post, railing, tree/scrub, or bldg.
    My attitude was always cordial but if I remained focused on my work people were respectful and didn't come up and start shucking and jiving about the "old camera" like I sometimes get in the US. I did, on different occasssions, have three very respectful film photographers come and visit after I had finished at a location. Very nice fellows and enjoyable conversations. I speak no French but their broken English was good enough to make for a pleasant meeting.
    Setting up against a object or out of others way also helped "cover my back" while under dark cloth and lessened the chance of someone bumping my setup camera.
    A nice thing about Parisians is their ability to not get buzzed up and run out the door in the early morning. Luckily I'm an early bird and would get out before everyone else, which provided opportunities that would have been more difficult latter in the day.

There is no problem with equipment at CDG unless you don't like to have your film x-rayed. The only people that would complain about the tripod use are police, but you don't run into them all the time.

QT,
    Are you talking about a jandarme like this one? This guy is obviouly aware of my presence. He watched me setting up and didn't blink an eye and even gave me the slightest of smiles.

Attachment 1266