Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compressed perspective on 4x5" - 800mm?

Compressed perspective on 4x5" - 800mm?

Hello, I have seen photographs by Andreas Feninger where he was using a homebuilt 4x5" camera with a long telephoto-lens and I have really come to like the compressed perspective in his photographs, where everything comes closer front-to-back.

So, I'm thinking of building something myself using a large lens in the area of 800-1000mm and basically only use it for infinity distance.

800mm on 4x5 corresponds to something like 250mm in 35-format.
    Question: Will the photograph in 4x5 look as compressed as a 250mm or as a 800mm on 35-format?
    /Thank you

Re: Compressed perspective on 4x5" - 800mm?

When you speak about compression you mean the spacial compression, I read. Therefore the look will be in this sens like 800 on 35mm format.
    By the way, I have constructed such a camera (with 800mm lens) and I use it a lot (for 6x12cm format). The setup is so quick that it allows me to react on meteorological phenomena in far mountains. An excellent idea to build your own!

Quote Originally Posted by GPS
    When you speak about compression you mean the spacial compression, I read. Therefore the look will be in this sens like 800 on 35mm format.
    Yes, spacial compression might be the expression for this...it's when the perceived distance between far and near objects disappear.

By the way, I have constructed such a camera (with 800mm lens) and I use it a lot (for 6x12cm format). The setup is so quick that it allows me to react on meteorological phenomena in far mountains. An excellent idea to build your own!
    GPS, I would be interested in knowing more about your setup. Andreas Feininger's camera looked very shaky and it required two tripods for stability. Which lens are you using?

I am thinking to not use bellows...but rather a fixed box like Feininger did. The image circle from this size of lens might be huge so I will need to reduce internal flare (possibly attaching a cone on the rear cell?) - any suggestions?

Comments?

You might look at the work of the late German photographer Reinhart Wolf. His book "New York" consists of telephoto views of the tops of skyscrapers at sunrise, and the credits section shows him with a huge Sinar 8x10 setup; two tripods, many bellows extensions, and perhaps a 1200mm lens. I have another book of his featuring castles in Spain that looks to have been done similarly.
    And a guess on my part- it might be easiest to control camera flare with a compendium lens hood, rather than inside the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson
    You might look at the work of the late German photographer Reinhart Wolf. His book "New York" consists of telephoto views of the tops of skyscrapers at sunrise, and the credits section shows him with a huge Sinar 8x10 setup; two tripods, many bellows extensions, and perhaps a 1200mm lens. I have another book of his featuring castles in Spain that looks to have been done similarly.
    And a guess on my part- it might be easiest to control camera flare with a compendium lens hood, rather than inside the camera.
    Thanks for the suggestion Mark! I will try to find this book.

Yes that's right? using a compendium on the outside would actually make the image circle smaller...I did not think of that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson
    . . . And a guess on my part- it might be easiest to control camera flare with a compendium lens hood, rather than inside the camera.
    On a camera with just one long lens, the most practical and efficient lens hood might be one fabricated from light metal, mat board, or whatever is handy. It can be designed to block almost all light from outside the image area. With long lenses, baffling inside the camera body is more efficient than black paint.

Patrik, my camera is built with the 800mm Nikon lens. It is a construction made from aluminum (aluminium if you prefer the British spelling but the result is the same...) angles (profiles). Very sturdy and relatively light. No belows, I used black leather (you can use a black plastic sheet too, I have other constructions with it) that envelops the construction inside (looking like the Eiffel tower but not a cone) and is sealed at both ends with flat aluminum pieces screwed to the body. It makes it much easier to handle than long belows. There is a handle on the top of the camera (attention to the centre of gravity!) so that it is easy to put on the tripod. And yes, I use 2 tripods for stability - far the best solution. It takes just about a 1/2 min. to put up the second tripod. The camera has 2 tripods screws (obviously). The inner aluminum angles serve as light buffles (all the interior is also blackened with a paint). Nothing will move 2 tripods, not even VERY strong winds. I made my own lens shade, very effective. The whole setup is a blaze to use. I often use it for sunrise photography (green flashes etc.) The demon is in the facility of its use... No focusing under black cloth, forget that part and use it as a point & shoot on a tripod (well, 2 of them...) Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrik Roseen
    Hello, I have seen photographs by Andreas Feninger where he was using a homebuilt 4x5" camera with a long telephoto-lens and I have really come to like the compressed perspective in his photographs, where everything comes closer front-to-back.

So, I'm thinking of building something myself using a large lens in the area of 800-1000mm and basically only use it for infinity distance.

800mm on 4x5 corresponds to something like 250mm in 35-format.
    Question: Will the photograph in 4x5 look as compressed as a 250mm or as a 800mm on 35-format?
    /Thank you
    Hello, the perspective is due to the distance from the subjects, so you could use a shorter lens such as 300mm on 4x5 and then crop to get same perspective as an 800mm lens (on 4x5). Just an option to try the shots without having to build.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 30-Aug-2006 at 10:03.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Jon, you didn't get it, I'm afraid. It's just the opposite, think over it a little bit... :-)

Jon, you didn't get it, I'm afraid. It's just the opposite, think over it a little bit... :-)
    Yes, I didn't read the question carefully.

If you use a 800 mm lens on a 4x5 and crop it down to a 35mm size film, you will get exactly the same picture as if you used an 800mm lens on a 35mm camera (taken from the same vantage point). I hope that explanation helps him with the concept of perspective.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 30-Aug-2006 at 10:31.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com