Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix trip planning---any ideas?

Question Phoenix trip planning---any ideas?

I might have an afternoon to myself to explore with the speed graphic. Are there any locations around Anthem to explore? We'll be going to Sedona but we'll be with friends and probably not have the time for LF

Also, do you know of any good restaraunts in Phoenix (or Anthem) where we can take our hosts? From what I've heard, Anthem isn't zoned for anything other than national chains, so I'd prefer a real 'mom and pop' joint over someplace like Outback or Marie Callenders.

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Phoenix trip planning---any ideas?

Anthem is on the north end of town. It is in the foothills, you will be surrounded by photo ops. Black canyon is just to the north. A real treat will be a drive to Crown King, that is if you have a tough car, the road is pretty rough. There are a couple ghost towns on the way, before the road gets rough, and a working silver mine and a real old west style bar at the top. Also just past Crown King is Horse Thief Basin. It's at about 5000 feet and is a pretty nice place to visit.
    As to resturants, one of the local favorites is a mexican resturant called the Tee Pee on Indian River near 40th street.

Two places not to be missed:Taleisin West in Scottsdale, and Arcosanti (on the way to Sedona).

There is also Superstition Mountain east of Mesa and a Pioneer Village museum north of Phoenix.

Jackie

If you're into some more rugged terrain, I would recommend the Apache Trail which will take you past Superstition Mountain and eventually up to Roosevelt.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Pizzeria Bianco.

I've never been, but if you go, please post a report!
    http://www.sliceny.com/archives/2004...the_woodfi.php

THe Apache trail is an all day trip. The Superstitions will take most of a day to investigate. Plus it is a good 1 and a half hour drive to both from were you will be.
    Way to much for a posible afternoon.

I live in Northern Scottsdale - about 5 miles from Anthem. If you only have limited time then I would suggest either the town of Cave Creak, Cave Creak State Park or Lake Pleasant Sate Park. The Superstition mountains are great but it is too far for just an afternoon. The same is true for Crown King - it is easily 110 miles roundtrip and about 70 of those are on dirt road - so going is pretty slow.
    Juergen

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found out that I'll have the use of a suburban for a day trip so the Crown King trip sounds tempting---so does pizzaria bianco and the Tee Pee! Thanks once again!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Jim Ewins

The Heard Museum's grounds are lovely.