Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clyde Butcher video

Re: Clyde Butcher video

No, not particularly in this thread, Brian. But I often sense an undercurrent of "he's not really one of us," when his name comes up in LF circles. I've just been pissed at the world for the last several days, and vented here. Sorry.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    No, not particularly in this thread, Brian. But I often sense an undercurrent of "he's not really one of us," when his name comes up in LF circles. I've just been pissed at the world for the last several days, and vented here. Sorry.
    No problem Bill, I've had a few days like that myself lately. To the extent Clyde is dissed I think part of it is just envy. He's done more with LF photography both financially and from a name-recognition standpoint in the last 15 or 20 years than all but a small handful of others.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

That was excellent.

But, what about snakes and alligators in the Everglades? Does he photograph those?

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    That was excellent.

But, what about snakes and alligators in the Everglades? Does he photograph those?
    He has secretly trained them to haul his equipment. The 100lb pack is just a cover story.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    To the extent Clyde is dissed I think part of it is just envy.
    I do think he is full of **** concerning his comments about color photography. But, it is his opinion, so I respect that.

Robert, Clyde is not against color photography he just does not like it for his own work.
    He has work by other large format photographers who shoot all color (Jeff Ripple as an example) on display in his gallery.

I think Clyde is an amazing artist. His large Florida landscape work is very inpiring to me. Clyde is one of the most humble great photographers you will ever meet. When I told him how impressed I am with his work, his reply to me was that he is just a hack photographer. I think by that he maens that he has perfected things to a point where it is a very simple process for him. He meters by eye or memory, I am not sure which.
    Anyway, I am glad you all enjoyed the clip.

Last edited by John Brady; 18-Nov-2006 at 13:05.

I think Clyde is a remarkable guy, easy going, and willing to offer advice to aspiring LFers such as a myself. John is right, when he speaks of color photography, he simply states it doesn't work for him, but as was already mentioned, he has quite a bit of color work from other's in his gallery.

He may do things 'simply' while in a shoot, but he certainly captures the essence of Florida, a VERY difficult place to shoot landscapes. I enjoyed the link very much, thanks for sending.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PMahoney View Post
    I think Clyde is a remarkable guy, easy going, and willing to offer advice to aspiring LFers such as a myself.
    In the video, the narrator, quoting Clyde says "color is a duplication, b&w an interpretation" - this is the quote I am referring to.

Personally, I agree with his stance about not including people in his images and I like big prints as well.