Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about field cameras

Re: Tell me about field cameras

I have owned two of your candidates, a Super Graphic and a Shen-Hao.

IMHO the reasons to go Graphic are two: 1) price, and 2) rangefinder.

I was quite pleased with my SH, which I don't hesitate to recommend to anyone who is satisfied with its bellows length/compression. I traded up when I outgrew its short bellows.

In re: durability, do you have a history of dropping/abusing your equipment? If not, the biggest risks are in the backpack, and getting it in/out. Consider addressing this issue from the other, backpack, side: get/build a sleeve of styrofoam or packing bubbles or something, that you can slide the camera into, so it is protected when carried.

A general comment on price/saving money. There is quite a bit of sticker shock in entering the LF marketplace, which lead many of us to purchase low-end, old, or used. Later we decide that it is a false economy, and buy what we really want/need, at a much higher price (rationalizations can and will be found). A better way to save money would be to skip the first purchase, since you will make the second anyways.

Mr Condit,
    Thanks for the input. I am always very cautious with my cameras (perhaps overtly so...), but then again being somewhat fresh out of college - every penny still counts.
    My main concern is just making sure that the camera will be OK strapped to my back over rough terrain.
    As far as the graphic goes, I really don't ever see myself using the rangefinder. Over the last year I've gotten used to the groundglass, and even now I find the viewfinder of a 35mm 'restrictive' for some reason. Maybe its just me....

Thanks to all for their time. A friend of mine has a speedgraphic, so Im going to borrow it and see how I get along with it over the course of a weekend. At this point, Im between it, and the Shen Hao.

Scott Davis

Steve- the Shen will hold up just fine over rough terrain - I took mine hiking in high alpine desert, up extinct volcanos, shot with it on the beach in the salt spray and fog of San Francisco, and it is just fine. I managed to lose a locking nut off one standard once, in my studio. If you're back to the Philly/DC area sometime before you make your decision, and would like to try shooting with one, I'd be glad to make mine available for a day.

Thanks Scott, I'll shoot you an email.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Technika, Technika, Technika. Just pay the extra money and quit worrying about it.
    Cameras are pretty simple. I don't see the sense in paying a ton of money for one.

I just got a Shen Hao and I love it. It's not geared; you unlock a movement and just wiggle around until it's in the right place, then tighten it up. But I find it pretty easy to use. Short of dropping it onto concrete I don't think it's going to fall apart any time soon. If you saw the evidence I saw that USPS played football with the package on the way you'd be convinced of its sturdiness too. Here's a shot of the bag bellows that was packed with it - didn't fare so well. Glad I paid the $30 extra for the aluminum case for the camera. Camera is completely unscathed.

Last edited by walter23; 9-Nov-2006 at 21:45.

Ouch....And I've always found USPS to be superior to UPS and FedEx.
    Thanks to Scott, I'll have the chance to check out the Shen Hao. Considering that the supergraphic on Epay went for over $400, I'd prefer to just add the extra cash and get something new.

Thanks again for all of your help, I'll keep you abreast of my findings.

Walker Titan SF. Has to be up there with the most rugged field cameras ever.

Steve H -- I use both view and press cameras, depending on the circumstances. Speed Graphic gets all the attention, but isn't the only camera in its class. I have both Speed Graphics and a B&J press camera. The latter has been stripped of rangefinder and tubular viewfinder for field use. In some ways it is better than the Speed Graphic, in some ways not. My model has rugged all metal construction, better front movements, and a revolving back. It lacks infinity stops, which is no great inconvenience for most field work. Like the Anniversary model Speed Graphic, it has a drop bed and takes 4 inch lens boards which are easy to fabricate. Other models of B&J may have different features. Busch and others also made good press cameras with their own idiosyncrasies. The Super Graphic was the final stage of evolution from that company, but may be too sophisticated for us who don't mind tailoring a camera to our own requirements.

When I upgraded from Shen Hao I ended up with a Walker, which is probably the toughest standard-design field camera, made of machined ABS plastic and stainless steel. I chose it for its durability, non-traditional materials, reasonable price, Technika-size lensboards, and long bellows, and am completely happy with it. Also, Mike Walker is a joy to deal with. However, the camera is more than double the indicated price range.

I think that if you pick out a camera you like, you'll be fine... there is some merit to the suggestion that you skip your first one and move right to the second, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it

When I bought my camera, I babied it a lot... still do, to some extent -- and mine's built like a tank. But when you look around at what the pros use, some of them on some pretty serious trips, you'll see lots of wooden field cameras stuffed in padded packs, and they clearly hold up just fine -- and they use those cameras a LOT.