Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger prints on negatves

Finger prints on negatves

I have noticed some finger prints on Tmax 100 negatives. These are 4x5 and the prints are toward the notched end, which is more exposed to prints. I do not presoak, since Kodak recommends against it with Xtol, but I wonder if that would help remove prints.

Re: Finger prints on negatves

I doubt it. On films that are hard already fingerprints are most likely caused more by the oils from your skin affecting development than by actually imprinting the gelatin. It's worth a try, I guess, if you're having problems. I'd suggest just practicing handling film a bit cleaner.

> I'd suggest just practicing handling film a bit cleaner.

Easier said than done.:-) It only happens to a few sheets, and I bet they are the sheets that slip from my fingers and have to be hunted down in the dark. Otherwise I stay on the edges of the sheets. I am concerned that gloves will shed and be more of a problem, unless someone knows of a thin glove that is really lint proof.

I found from my trip this summer, where I was away for two months shooting and boxing film for later processing (from which I still have a few batches left to process), that in this situation fingerprints are more of a problem, because the oil sits on the film longer before processing. I was shooting Efke PL100, J&C Classic 400, old TXT and new TXP all in 4x5", and the Kodak films were no more resistant to this problem than the East European films.

So now I'm loading with white cotton gloves. So far lint doesn't seem to be a big issue, but I haven't been following this practice long enough to make any conclusive judgment. I may try unpowdered surgical gloves, which would have no lint problem.

Another thing to be careful about is handling film when developing multiple batches. I've gotten the occasional fingerprint from having fixer residue on my hands when loading the next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I have noticed some finger prints on Tmax 100 negatives. These are 4x5 and the prints are toward the notched end, which is more exposed to prints. I do not presoak, since Kodak recommends against it with Xtol, but I wonder if that would help remove prints.
    Fingerprints are certainly a problem. First thing to determine is when the fingerprints were applied. If you can figure that out, you might be able to correct the problem more easily.

What I've learned to do is always wash my hands with soap to make sure my fingers are as oil free as possible before handling film. If in loaded holders I accidentally touch the emulsion, I toss that sheet on the floor and get another. It's just not worth the risk.

If I accidentally touch the emulsion when unloading exposed film, all I can do is continue processing and hope for the best. To my knowledge there's nothing you can do to remove fingerprints from the emulsion before processing that won't destroy the emulsion itself. Basically you have to scrub with a soap of some kind to dissolve and remove the oils of the fingerprint. This isn't good for the emulsion as you might imagine.

IOW, all I know to do is keep my hands really clean (don't scratch that itch no matter how bad it might be), work carefully and methodically in the dark, and reject unexposed sheets if there is any question at all about fingerprints, dirt, or scratches.

Bruce Watson

I do the same as Bruce, wash my hands well, immediately before loading. I occasionally will touch a sheet but so far so good.

When using cotton gloves while loading film, one can always vacuum or blow out the holder after the film is in place to eliminate lint where it hurts.

I use cheap disposable plastic gloves used in the food industry that come in bulk for anything that needs to be fingerprint free.

Thanks Cyrus - I usually think of the surgical gloves, but they are mostly powered or lotioned. The cheap clear poly gloves for food would be perfect. I am in a hot, humid climate and use a changing bag, so keeping my hands really dry is nearly impossible.

There is a product in the First Aid aisle of most drug stores know as "Finger Cots". They are little latex gloves for just the finder rolled up like condoms. I roll one on my thumb and my first two fingers. They are cheap and can be reused over and over. They also fit tightly on the finger so you can pick things up and handle them. Their real use is to cover bandages on fingers. I've been using them for several years with nary a fingerprint.