View Poll Results: Would you yourself pose nude?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

35 57.38%
  • no

26 42.62%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3. Would you yourself pose nude?

Re: 3. Would you yourself pose nude?

I got to know my great aunt in her late eighties. She was a leathery-faced, large lump of an old woman. She outlived two husbands and divorced one. She prospected for gold in Nome when she was young, and lived across from a mortuary when I got to know her--for convenience she'd say. During one visit, we started to discuss photography. She grunted and pushed herself out of her overstuffed chair and disappeared into her closet. She returned with a large, framed, black & white photo of a beautiful, young nude woman on the edge of a dark forest. The pose was "impish" and the shot was very well done. I immediately thought it was one of Imogene Cunningham's. I asked, "Where'd you get this...who's the photographer." She plopped down next to me on the sofa, leaned into me and patted me on the thigh. She said, "I don't tell many people this, but my first husband took that photo, and that's me standing there." I swear the room started to spin.

That night, I called my mother and told her about the visit. When I started to tell her about the secret photo, she interrupted and said, "I suppose she said she never tells anyone. She'd show the postman if he'd stay on the porch long enough."

I think everyone should have a nude of themselves in their closet. To remind yourself of who you were (are inside).....and for the entertainment value of shocking your grand nephews.

At 74, I can't imagine being asked.

But, for those who were and said they'd pose nude, I can't help but wonder what their motivation might be. Exhibitionism? The desire to share something beautiful with the public? The desire to arouse a lustful response in the viewer(s)? A joke? Would those who agreed also go to a nude beach or houseparty?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
    I got to know my great aunt in her late eighties. . . .
    That's a great story, Brian, and even more "shocking" if one considers the times in which she posed for the photo.

I think everyone should have a nude of themselves in their closet. To remind yourself of who you were (are inside).....and for the entertainment value of shocking your grand nephews.
    You might want to make sure that your adult nephews and/or nieces are around when you decide to shock the grand nephews and nieces.

Sandy King

What a cool story. I remember picking up a book of Cunningham's work at the library in college. The first picture was a self portrait she did of herself nude in the grass as a young woman. Then at the end of the book was a photo of her as an old woman. She was wearing a dark dress, a granny hat and she was carrying a TLR with peace signs all over the neck strap.

It had a large impact on me. Something to do with the strange time/space connection between the two bodies tied together with the same spirit. It's hard to put into words, but I think it's beautiful.

So, I made some nude self portraits. Now I'm waiting to get old.

I got to know my great aunt in her late eighties. She was a leathery-faced, large lump of an old woman. She outlived two husbands and divorced one. She prospected for gold in Nome when she was young, and lived across from a mortuary when I got to know her--for convenience she'd say. During one visit, we started to discuss photography. She grunted and pushed herself out of her overstuffed chair and disappeared into her closet. She returned with a large, framed, black & white photo of a beautiful, young nude woman on the edge of a dark forest. The pose was "impish" and the shot was very well done. I immediately thought it was one of Imogene Cunningham's. I asked, "Where'd you get this...who's the photographer." She plopped down next to me on the sofa, leaned into me and patted me on the thigh. She said, "I don't tell many people this, but my first husband took that photo, and that's me standing there." I swear the room started to spin.

That night, I called my mother and told her about the visit. When I started to tell her about the secret photo, she interrupted and said, "I suppose she said she never tells anyone. She'd show the postman if he'd stay on the porch long enough."

f295

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Jig View Post
    So, I made some nude self portraits. Now I'm waiting to get old.
    This is the best post I've read here today..... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Would you yourself pose nude?
    I have tried many times, and been arrested on each occasion.

For me response #2 by Scott is the answer. I don't know that anyone would ask any more but I am of the opinion that a lot of beautiful nude work is missed because people miss the beauty in a model that may not be the perfect example of youth. I think there are many beautiful older women that would make great fine art models. Part is because some photographers do not seek out older models and part may be because older women may not feel they are not in their perfect form any longer and may not be interested in posing.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Many years ago I took a couple of workshops concerned with photographing the nude. At one of them every person was required to be photographed nude prior to photographing the models. One time when with Cole Weston a group shot was suggested, and no one in the group protested, including me.
    I think that everyone who wants to photograph nudes should do so if for no other reason than to understand how the model might feel.

have done many times and would again.. (as long as I don't have to see the results...)