Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Photo Trip Thanksgiving Week

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

California Photo Trip Thanksgiving Week

Hello all,

I'm planning on hitting the road with the camera gear Thanksgiving week somewhere in California. I was originally planning on doing Death Valley/ Joshua Tree/ Anza Borrego, but I'm a bit concerned about all the recent fire activity, and perhaps it would be better to go in the spring for the wildflowers. So now, I'm also considering a few alternate destinations:

1) Sequoia/ King's Canyon- would be pretty much empty, but snow may limit access

2) North Coast- Medocino, Lost Coast, lighthouses, redwoods, etc.

Does anyone have any opinions about which of these three itineraries would be most productive for a week in late November? Also, are there any specific locations in these three areas that you would recommend? Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Re: California Photo Trip Thanksgiving Week

The central coast & big sur is very nice that time of year unless you're after fog. Kings Canyon/Sequoia is always nice but don't plan on getting into the back country unless you want to ski or snowshoe. I think the year 'round passes that cross the sierra (88, 50, 80 etc...) offer some great landscape opportunities in the winter, especially if there is snow, as does 395 especially if you take the June Lake Loop or head up to Lake Tahoe.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The fire was nowhere near Death Valley. I just got back from a week there. The nice thing about DV is that it's a contained environment. You don't have to spend a lot of time in the vehicle looking for photo opportunities.

Dave

Hi Brian:

I just got back from a shoot at the Salton Sea, just beyond the Beaumont/Banning fire (we could see it from the freeway). Anyway, it was no big deal for us, but some of the lesser highways were closed to through traffic.

If you're interested, I posted a few quickly-processed digital images from the trip on my blog (the top two entries). Give the page a few seconds to load as there are some good sized images on it: www.jack.omniblog.com.

I will get some of my LF film images up as soon as I get them back from the lab -- probably next week.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 31-Oct-2006 at 21:02.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Doug Dolde

I am going up the East Side myself. Lone Pine (Alabama Hills) and the Bishop area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hi Brian:

I just got back from a shoot at the Salton Sea, just beyond the Beaumont/Banning fire (we could see it from the freeway). Anyway, it was no big deal for us, but some of the lesser highways were closed to through traffic.

If you're interested, I posted a few quickly-processed digital images from the trip on my blog (the top two entries). Give the page a few seconds to load as there are some good sized images on it: www.jack.omniblog.com.

I will get some of my LF film images up as soon as I get them back from the lab -- probably next week.

Cheers,
    Very nice work Jack. The Salton Sea has intrigued me for a long time. I've never been there but I've read quite a bit about it and from what I've read you really captured the feel of the place. I especially liked the skateboarder photographs.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Very nice work Jack. The Salton Sea has intrigued me for a long time. I've never been there but I've read quite a bit about it and from what I've read you really captured the feel of the place. I especially liked the skateboarder photographs.

Thanks very much Brian! Intereting thing about the skaters is I happened upon them totally by surprise while searching for landscape oppportunities one afternoon. I only photographed them as an afterthought and was surprised a second time by the results.
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 1-Nov-2006 at 08:00.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Great shots Jack- looks like I may be headed down to the desert after all. Is the Salton Sea similar to Mono Lake?
    Brian Vuillemenot

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Great shots Jack- looks like I may be headed down to the desert after all. Is the Salton Sea similar to Mono Lake?
    Hi Brian:

Late fall through winter and early spring are my favorite times in the desert -- the low angle of the sun allows longer shooting times and the increased RH generates a bit softer early and late light.

Salton Sea is not really very similar to Mono Lake. One, it is a *lot* larger, probably 100 miles of shoreline and second, there is no tufa. It also has several communities built directly on its shore and obviously a few of these communities are approaching ghost-town status.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jack Flesher; 2-Nov-2006 at 10:46.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    If you Google on Salton Sea you can find a lot of information about the place. LensWork had a great photo essay on it maybe four or five years ago, I don't remember the photographer's name unfortunately.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.