Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Locations

New Zealand Locations

I'm planning a two week trip to New Zealand with my wife and 3 1/2 year old boy in mid-March. I love landscape photography. I'd appreciate suggestions for photo opportunities, and any other suggestions you might have in planning our vacation. I do need to balance my love for nature and landscape photography with my wife's and son's interests. Thanks, Howard

Re: New Zealand Locations

you could try contacting this guy and asking for some advice/recommendations:

http://www.nz-landscapes.co.nz

Which island are you planning on going to - North or South?

I'm thinking about a week on each of the North and South islands, but that's just a guess at this point. . . . I have no idea which island.

I spent a week on the north island back in the early '90s, when I went there to speak at a UNIX conference, and found driving the road around the island to be quite interesting. Lots of variation in the landscapes. Pay attention to the ravines, too. Much of the vegetation, ferns in particular, struck me as almost prehistoric in nature. The south island is supposed to be equally interesting, but quite different than the north island.

If you have only a week or two, spend it all on the South Island. If you e-mail me, I'll give you lots of info.

Cheers.

With only two weeks, it's best to pick and visit only one island. Otherwise, you'll be spending all your time in the car. The islands are big enough that you can't cover too much ground in just two weeks.

I'd also suggest the south island for the more spectacular scenery. If you are more a portrait photographer, then you may be interested in photographing the Maori. They have very striking features. The North island has a higher percentage of Maori than the south.

Either way, it will be fun but limit yourself to part of only one island.

Smile Re: New Zealand Locations

Howard,
    Last April I had planned to go to Nepal to do some hiking and photography, due to the civil unrest there I decided to cancel and as I had the time available to go to New Zealand instead.
    I spent two weeks in the south part ( ie under Christchurch) of South Island and found the hiking and photo opportunities absolutely fantastic.
    Briefly, we flew into Christchurch, hired a car and drove the Authurs Pass way to Greymouth, then down to Franz Joseph Glacier and on the Wanaka. We then drove to Queenstown - walked the Milford Track - and then went to Paradise,Glenorchy, Te Anau, Milford Sound - then back to Queenstown and accross MacKenzie country to Chjristchurch and then home. This all took 2 weeks and I felt we had missed a lot - good walks and Photo ops.
    The countryside if beautiful, we got excellent "fall" colours (April). I have never felt that I have had so many photo opportunities in such a short time before. The scenery is stunning.
    Bring you film with you - it is expensive in NZ.
    Scenery is something like the Lake District in the Uk, but on a bigger and grander scale.
    E-mail me if you want any more info.
    John Quinn

Not having been to New Zealand but have been dreaming of going after doing some research I'd also suggest sticking to just one island if you only have two weeks. And personally I would stick to the south island. Another person on the forum was going not long ago maybe you can contact him for more ideas. take a look at this thread
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=zealand

When I was in college I spent 5 months on the South Island (studying abroad in Dunedin) and a week on the North Island. That's about the right ratio of time.

The North Island is lovely, but the South Island is jaw-dropping. But if you're only going to be there for 2 weeks, then you're going to be doing each island a disservice with only one week on each.

My suggestion: just do a couple of days on the North Island -- your son will love Rotorua with the geysers and bubbling mud.

But spend the bulk of the time on the South Island if this is likely to be your only trip to NZ. Since you won't be doing long hikes with a little one, by car you can spend a decent amount of time in Fiordland, Westland, Mt Aspiring, and Mt Cook National Parks, which are just unbelievable landscapes. There is great stuff for your son, too. In Dunedin you can go to the Otago Peninsula and get a tour of the yellow-eyed penguin colony and a royal albatross colony. Just north of Dunedin in Oamaru you can see the tiny little blue fairy penguins coming ashore.
    Last edited by DrPablo; 3-Nov-2006 at 12:32.