Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Spotmeter failure (need repairman)

Pentax Spotmeter failure (need repairman)

I had to go to Gateway Canyons in Colorado (45 min from Grand Junction) on business and, not knowing if I would have enough free time I took my MF Russian Hassie clone with a couple of backs instead of my 5x7 (I will be back, and I will definitely plan on time for the 5x7!). I took my old Pentax Spotmeter (analog) and my Gossen average meter as backup. When I got there and took the Pentax out of my camera bag it was dead. The needle would not react at all, on Low level or on High Level. The battery check would not move the needle either. The batteries are both new, and I tested the 9V and it was strong. The meter did not get bumped (I carried my camera bag in the plane cabin as carry-on luggage). I had dropped it on gravel three days prior, but had used it after that and it was working fine. I had to rely on the Gossen, which, although an old and faithful friend, was not the right tool for the light conditions in the canyon.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong with the Pentax? Any recommendations on where to send it to get repaired, and a ballpark on cost? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Rafael

Re: Pentax Spotmeter failure (need repairman)

You can try Richard Ritter. I know that Richard works on Pentax digital spotmeters but I'm not sure if he works on the analog models. He does excellent work.
    Last edited by Allen Rumme; 27-Oct-2006 at 18:37.

My initial Pentax spotmeter was the analog version. Fortunately it malfunctioned and forced me to buy the digital version.

Great, Dan. I'm happy for you.

Dave Karp

Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA. (323) 467-2265. They did a great job on both my Pentax digital and analog meters. Highly recommended. Sorry. Sorry, can't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking that the cost for service and calibration was reasonable.
    Last edited by David Karp; 27-Oct-2006 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, CA. (323) 467-2265. They did a great job on both my Pentax digital and analog meters. Highly recommended. Sorry. Sorry, can't remember how much it cost, but I remember thinking that the cost for service and calibration was reasonable.
    Hi Dave,

Do you have an email address for Quality Light Metric?

And, do they do the calibration ala Zone VI?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Hi Dave,

Do you have an email address for Quality Light Metric?

And, do they do the calibration ala Zone VI?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    I don't have an email address to provide you with, but I can tell you that they service and calibrate the meters of just about every motion picture DP and gaffer in Los Angeles (probably most of the U.S.). Most of us have our meters checked and calibrated annually, or nearly so. It's cheap insurance when you make your living with them. You can trust that your meter will come back perfectly accurate. I have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spotmeter, and they have been servicing it since I bought it in the early 90's, along with my analog Spectra and my Digital Spectra.

Anthony
    Last edited by LADP; 27-Oct-2006 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by LADP View Post
    I don't have an email address to provide you with, but I can tell you that they service and calibrate the meters of just about every motion picture DP and gaffer in Los Angeles (probably most of the U.S.). Most of us have our meters checked and calibrated annually, or nearly so. It's cheap insurance when you make your living with them. You can trust that your meter will come back perfectly accurate. I have a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital spotmeter, and they have been servicing it since I bought it in the early 90's, along with my analog Spectra and my Digital Spectra.

Anthony
    Thanks Anthony...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks, David and Anthony. I will call them.

Rafael

If by calibration ala Zone VI you mean checking and replacing the baffles, filters, etc. then the best place to go is Richard Ritter who works specifically on Zone VI modified Pentax and Soliger meters. You can find Richard at www.lg4mat.net. He has been having computer problems and a phone call is the best way to get him 1-802-365-7807. Richard actually did the work for Zone VI when they were still around.